Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor

FCoE commands not recognized after firmware upgrade to v7.0

I just upgrade B8000 fw to v7.0.0a and now none of the FCoE commands are recognized.  I get error: invalid input detected.

here are some examples: (note: not the order the commands were entered, examples grabbed randomly)

Brocade_8000_SW2#fcoelogincfg --show
                                 ^
% Error: Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Brocade_8000_SW2(conf-if-vl-100)#fcf forward
                                                    ^

Brocade_8000_SW2(config)#vlan classifier rule 1 proto fcoe encap ethv2
                                                                               ^

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Contributor

Re: FCoE commands not recognized after firmware upgrade to v7.0

Hi Joe, the command syntax is totally different with 7.0 and is now much easier to use. 

The cee-map and fcoe-vlan should be set by default.  All you will need to do is set "fcoeport" on each interface where FCoE will be used.  

Erik

New Contributor

I have looked in the documetation section, and I cannot see any docs listsed for v7.0. Anybody have a link to them? we are looking at upgrading from 6.4.2 to 7.0.0, but i want to undertand the required config changes first. 

Occasional Contributor

seriously?  No one else has an FCoE issue after upgrading to 7.0.0b ?

I see no command reference manuals.

The Brocade 8000 that was working with FCoE is now no longer working.

all ports show thusly:

User Port  Status       Port WWN              DeviceCount  Port  Type          MAC           VF_ID
=====================================================================================================
8          ENABLED   20:08:00:05:1e:76:d7:80       0       FCoE VF-Port  00:05:1e:76:d7:80  128

My VLAN 104 shows as

ID   Name       FCoE      Status                         Protocol State     Interfaces
104  Vlan 104  Disabled  Administratively Down   Down                 Te 0/0, Te 0/1, Te 0/2, Te 0/3, Te 0/4, Te 0/5, Te 0/6, Te 0/7, Te 0/8, Te 0/9, Te 0/10,

Te 0/11, Te 0/12, Te 0/13, Te 0/14, Te 0/15, Te 0/16, Te 0/17, Te 0/18, Te 0/19, Te 0/20,

Te 0/21, Te 0/22, Te 0/23

But I no longer know how to set this VLAN as FCoE Enabled without a Command Reference Manual OR A SEAMLESS UPGRADE PROCEDURE !!!!!

Anyone out there know WTH is going on?

Thanks

Contributor

HI, I'm not sure what Brocade docs exists to help resolve this but the v7.0 configuration steps are provided in the EMC FCoE TechBook (http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/technical-documentation/h6290-fibre-channel-over-ethernet-techbook.pdf).    

New Contributor

The manuals are there for download, but you need to have a serial number tied to a support contact attached to your account to see them. I do not have that set up for my account yet, so my PSE was kind enough to email me the CEE admin guide and CEE command reference. Here are the basics:

When you upgrade from 6.4.x to 7.0.x, several things happen.

1. You loose all but the "default" CEE map.

So if you have multiple different maps configured (for testing, etc), then be sure to use the copy command in the cmsh shell to copy your config off to an ftp server before you upgrade.

2. The FCoE vlan defaults to vlan 1002, which makes your ports seem to disappear when you do "show run" in the cmsh shell.

You original vlans are still present, but now there are configure as LAN vlans. To get my fabric vlan back, I had to delete it, then re-create it as the fcoe-vlan in the cee-map interface:

switch(config)# no interface vlan 174
switch(config)# fcoe-map default
switch(conf-fcoe-map)# fcoe-vlan 174

After doing this, "show run" listed all my ports again.

3. The way to designate a port for FCoE has changed.

Previously you assigned a CEE map to a port, and if that map had FCoE configured, you got FCoE (assuming the correct underlying port config). Now they are changing the assignment of the mapping so that only one map is active, and is assigned through the "fcoeport" command. This is the way the brocade blade switches for the Dell M1000 chassis have been for a while now. So what I did was take the cee map default config out of my ports, and put "fcoeport" in its place:

example port config:

interface TengigabitEthernet 0/20
mtu 9208
switchport
switchport mode converged
switchport converged allowed vlan all
no shutdown
cee default

config procedure:

switch#config t
switch(config)#interface tengigabitethernet 0/20
switch(conf-if-te-0/20)#no cee map
switch(conf-if-te-0/20)#fcoeport

New port config:

switch(conf-if-te-0/20)#do show run

interface TenGigabitEthernet 0/20
mtu 9208
fcoeport
switchport
switchport converged allowed vlan all
no shutdown

Now all this assumes you had a functional FCoE config before the upgrade, in which case you do not have to build your port configs from scratch. If you need to do a full rebuild, then I suggest you A) get a serial number attached to your MyBrocade login, so you can download the docs, or B) email your PSE.

Message was edited by: shanon.r.lawton

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

My FCoE VLAN (102) was still set as FCoE after the upgrade to 7.  But it will not allow me to delete it. Maybe I just do not know the order to do so.

a simple NO INTERFACE VLAN 102 produces an error message

error: the given vlan is an fcoe vlan

and if I try this command on an NOT-Upgraded to 7.0.0x yet brocade 8000,  it says

error: use 'no fcf forward' to disable fcoe first

but the no fcf forward command on the upgraded switch says

(config) # no fcf forward

^

error: invalid input detected at '^' marker.

It's as if the FCF FORWARD command is no longer valid.

So instead I deleted the vlan (104) that I thought was my old FCoE VLAN, and tried to add a port to the current FCoE VLAN (102), and this did not work either.  Neither did changing to 'fcoeport'

!

no protocol spanning-tree

!

cee-map default

priority-group-table 1 weight 40

pfc priority-group-table 2 weight 60

priority-table 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 2

!

fcoe-map default

fcoe-vlan 102

!

interface Vlan 1

!

interface TenGigabitEthernet 0/16

fcoeport

switchport

no shutdown

lldp fcoe-priority-bits list 3

!

Occasional Contributor

The analyzer trace shows a reply to my VLAN request with FCoE VID=102

The FLOGI goes out on VLAN 102...

The FLOGI reply is a:

Reject.....                         Logical Busy.....            Insufficient Resource To Support Login.

Command Code = 0x01     Reason Code = 0x05     Reason explanation =  0x29

External Moderator

This Issue, after FOS upgrade is very Strong.

I've a Pair of Brocade 8000 here, and I'm going to create a DR.

Brocade Official statement about Support for 8000 is follow:

"I’d suggest you contact the supplier of the Brocade 8000 and request technical assistance.  This product is not usually sold directly by Brocade, so our suppliers usually take on first level support and are trained to provide assistance with configuration and features.

If you need assistance on technical configuration or features, the seller will be able to assist you."

If you need CEE Admin and Command Reference Guide, let me know, I'll upload here.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

thank you for the reply...and...

i have not found the 2 CEE guides for v7.0.0x

thank you

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook