Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Frequent Contributor

Change VCS ID in an ethernet fabric

Hello,

We have a running ethernet fabric (2 VDX6730-76) running NOS3.0.1.

We would like to change the VCS ID for another one ? Are there any forseeable impacts ?

Will we loose some configuration ? Especially the one related to storage parts (FCoE, FC, etc.)...

Thank you for your feedbacks.

Best.

Contributor

Re: Change VCS ID in an ethernet fabric

Hi,

currently you will loos the complete configuration. In the configuration guide is written what exactly stays in config like management IF IP Adress - but what i know is that you have to completly reconfigure your system - maybe a copy paste or with usb stick exapt the vcsid/rb-id shoud be enough.

Frequent Contributor

Hello Dennis,

According to my SE, there is a command to change this globally in the new NOS4.0.

Still, I can't figure out the impacts yet. Guess I will have to read the manual.

If someone from Brocade were to comment on the subject.

Thanks.

Contributor

I lost my point on that - i've mailed that already some weeks ago. Currently 4.0 is fine but has very new stuff in it and if you plan to upgrade you have to reload both machines to become one fabric again - so anyway a outage.

I found some of that infos in the Restoring the default configuration NOS Admin Guide - but only regarding copy flash://default-config.novcs startup-config

"In standalone mode, all interfaces are shut down. When the switch comes back up, the restored

default configuration is used. The following parameters are unaffected by this command:

• Interface management IP address

• Software feature licenses installed on the switch

In VCS Fabric mode, all interfaces remain online. The following parameters are unaffected by this

command:

• Interface management IP address

• Software feature licenses installed on the switch

• Virtual IP address

i think if you change the vcsid it is the same behavior.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook