Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Visitor

Brocade VDX6710 1Gbe ISL

Hi All,

I have Brocade VDX6720 x 2 and DCB (Blade Chassis) x 10 switches operating in VCS fabric mode and this works perfectly with 10Gbps ISL's but I also have 2 x VDX6710 switches in isolation for a DMZ network.

My question is does the ISL have to be via 10Gbps ports or is it possible to form an ISL through multiple 1Gbps ports?

When you look at the configuration of the 1Gbps ports there are no fabric abilities (i.e. fabric isl enable, fabric trunk enable) unlike the 10Gbps ports.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

Brocadian

Re: Brocade VDX6710 1Gbe ISL

Hi Pete,

ISLs are only supported on 10GbE ports (and 40/100GbE ports on other platforms).

Consequently you cannot use the 1GbE ports on the 6710 for ISLs; 

the 1GbE can of course be used to connect switches together ..but these will not be ISLs (VCS fabric links) -if you do this then you can aggregate with a vLAG (type brocade) for example between your two VDX6710.

Hope this helps

~Marcus

PeteAspinall wrote:

Hi All,

I have Brocade VDX6720 x 2 and DCB (Blade Chassis) x 10 switches operating in VCS fabric mode and this works perfectly with 10Gbps ISL's but I also have 2 x VDX6710 switches in isolation for a DMZ network.

My question is does the ISL have to be via 10Gbps ports or is it possible to form an ISL through multiple 1Gbps ports?

When you look at the configuration of the 1Gbps ports there are no fabric abilities (i.e. fabric isl enable, fabric trunk enable) unlike the 10Gbps ports.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook