Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade VDX Topology

i'm Confused about VDX Toplogy

let me compare with Brocade FCX , with FCX we can let multiple switches Join one logical Chassis ( one logical switch ) , to do that we use dedicated backplane cables 

1- With VDX , i saw at documents that there is not dedicated connections to form the fabric , is this true ?

2- Does this mean that connection is needed to be like start Topology between all VDX switches ?

3-  does this mean that physical connection used for traffic is the same physical connections used to form the fabric ?

4- if So  , if i have 4 VDX6710 switches  @ edge  layer , will i connect them like the following :

Sw1 >>>SW2>>>SW3>>>SW4

in this case is Server @ Sw1 wants to communicate with server @ SW4 , it will pass by all switches ? 

Brocadian

Re: Brocade VDX Topology

1- With VDX , i saw at documents that there is not dedicated connections to form the fabric , is this true ?

Yes, VDX switches do not have dedicated stacking ports for connecting them together. You will use the 10 Gig or 40 Gig ports (6740) for connecting them together to form the fabric.

2- Does this mean that connection is needed to be like start Topology between all VDX switches ?

You can connect them in any physical topologies such as Clos, mesh, star, or ring. We recommend Clos architecture for a highly scalable network.

3-  does this mean that physical connection used for traffic is the same physical connections used to form the fabric ?

Yes (except VDX 6710, in which you will use copper cable for server connectivity, and 10GbE connectivity for fabric formation)

4- if So  , if i have 4 VDX6710 switches  @ edge  layer , will i connect them like the following :

Sw1 >>>SW2>>>SW3>>>SW4

in this case is Server @ Sw1 wants to communicate with server @ SW4 , it will pass by all switches ?

In your linear topology above, the traffic will pass by all switches. If you implement ring topology (SW4 >> SW1), your hop count will be reduced. If you are planning to add more than 4 switches, i would recommend you to implement Clos architecture. IN Clos, you will not exceed more than two hops in any case.

Thanks

Sharan

Occasional Contributor

Re: Brocade VDX Topology

Thanks alot for detailed answers

but for point 2 & 4 ,   when no dedicated connection for Fabric , thsi means that communication between Server on SW1 & Server on Switch 4 will not be using Switching capacity of the switch , it will be limited to speed of connection between the 2 switches

while if dedicated connection  for Fabric ( like  ICX logical Chassis ) ,  in this Case switching Capacity will no be dropped as Backplane cables will be used to route the traffic  so  both servers will have full switching capacity during communication

what do you think ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook