Certification

Things I like in Brocade FOS 7.0 - Part 3: Little helpers

by on ‎10-18-2011 01:43 AM (500 Views)

There are some goodies in FOS 7.0 that are not announced big-time. Goodies especially for us troubleshooters. There are regular but not too frequent so called RAS meetings. Here we have the possibility to wish for new RAS features - wishes born out of real problem cases. Some of the wishes we had were implemented in FOS 7.0 (beside of the Frame Log I already described in a previous post).

blog_little.jpg

Time-out discards in porterrshow

You probably noticed that I have a hobbyhorse when it comes to troubleshooting in the SAN: performance problems. Medium to major SAN-performance problems usually go along with frame drops in the fabric. If a frame is kept in a port's buffer for 500ms, because it can't be delivered in time, it will be dropped. So these drops would be a good indicator for a performance problem. There is a counter in portstatsshow for each port (depending on code version and platform) named er_tx_c3_timeout, which shows how often the ASIC connected to a specific port had to drop a frame that was intended to be sent to this port. It means: This guy was busy X times and I had to drop a frame for him.

But who looks in the portstatsshow anyway? At least for monitoring? In that area the porterrshow command is way more popular, because it provides a single table for all FC ports showing the most important error counters. Unfortunately it had only one cumulative counter for all reasons of frame discards - and there are a lot more beside of those time-outs. But now there are two additional counters in this table: c3-timeout tx and c3-timeout rx. Out of them the tx counter is the important one as described above. The rx counter just gives you an idea where the dropped frames came from.

So: just focus on the TX! If it counts up, get some ideas how to treat it here.

The firmware history

Just last week I had a fiddly case about firmware update problems again. There are restrictions about the version you can update to based on the current one. If you don't observe the rules, things could mess up. And they could mess up in a way you don't see straightaway. But then suddenly, after some months and maybe another firmware update, the switch runs into a critical situation. Or it has problems with exactly that new firmware update. Some of these problems can render a CP card useless, which is ugly because from a plain hardware point of view nothing is broken. But the card has to be replaced at the end. Sigh.

To make a long story short: Wouldn't it be better to actually know the versions the switch was running on in the past? And  that's the duty of the firmware history:

switch:admin> firmwareshow --history
Firmware version history
Sno Date & Time         Switch Name Slot PID  FOS Version
1 Fri Feb 18 12:58:06 2011 CDCX16    7  1556  Fabos Version v7.0.0d
2 Wed Feb 16 07:27:38 2011 CDCX16    7  1560  Fabos Version v7.0.0a

(example borrowed from the CLI guide)

No access - No problem

There is a mistake almost everybody in the world of Brocade SAN administration makes (hopefully only) once: Trying to merge a new switch into an existing fabric and fail with a segmented ISL and a "zone conflict". Then the most probable reason is that the new switch's default zoning (defzone) is set to "no access".

This feature was introduced a while ago to make Brocade switches a little more safe. Earlier each port was able to see every other port as long as there was no effective zoning on the switch. With "no access" enabled, all traffic between each unzoned pair of devices is blocked if there is no zone including them both. The drawback of "no access" is its technical implementation, though. As soon as it was enabled a hidden zone was created and its pure existence blocked the traffic for all unzoned devices. And so without any indication the switch did end up with a zone.

But entre nous: no sane person accepts this without raising a few eyebrows. With FOS 7.0 this (mis-)behavior is gone. The new switch has a "no access" setting and wants to merge the fabric? Fine. You don't have to care, the firmware cares for you!

Thanks for the little helpers Brocade - and I hope you stay open for new ideas Smiley Surprised)

Original blog entry can be found here.