Certification

Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Is there anything on the horizon when it comes to Broadcom inheriting Brocade certification?

With the takeover being finalised and the existence of Brocade coming to an end are there any statements or comments on Broadcom inheriting Brocade certification?

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Former Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

External Moderator

Re: Is there anything on the horizon when it comes to Broadcom inheriting Brocade certification?

Re: Is there anything on the horizon when it comes to Broadcom inheriting Brocade certification?

Hi Erwin, Broadcom will not be moving forward with a certification program for Brocade. Existing exams will remain available until the end of January 2018, but the program will not continue after that point. 

Antonio, thanks for replying with a link to the original announcement and Erwin if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask inline or email me directly at pzahradk@brocade.com and I'll do my best to provide an answer.

Thank you both!

Paul

Technical Course Developer, Multimedia
Brocade University Social Media Manager
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

So basically everyting were 100's of engineers and companies have spent countless hours and money towards obtaining a great certification status is now being abandoned by Broadcom and is basically useless as a reference as it is no longer backed by an entitiy that holds and develops the equipment.

I think this might be communicated in a somewhat more clear statement than just pointing to the fact a few exams being retired because they have moved to Extreme.

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen

Hi Erwin, the announcement from Nov. 10th does spell out in the title that the program will end on Jan. 28, 2018, then the article goes on to detail which courses and certifications will be affected.

As an employee of Education, I will say that this was surprising news and as you can imagine, has been hard to communicate. However, and with much respect, I do not at all believe that Brocade certifications are useless going forward. Brocade equipment exists today and will exist for many years to come in some of the world's most important companies and most mission-critical facilities. As long as there is Brocade equipment in the marketplace, it is my opinion that Brocade certifications will become more valuable over time, because those who hold our certifications are now among a finite group of individuals who have proven their expertise.

So while it is an unexpected change to the business going forward, this does nothing to invalidate the efforts and investments put forth by those in our community.

If I were looking for someone to configure or service Brocade equipment, I would be more apt to choose someone who is certified over someone who cannot prove their expertise.

Regarding your email signature, you are not a former BDA. You are and always will be a BDA. How you choose to communicate your achievements to the world belies their significance to you.

I appreciate and understand your concerns about the program. Thank you for reaching out Erwin, and please know that I am always happy to answer your questions or discuss anything with you further.

Thanks,
Paul and Team
Frequent Contributor

Hello Paul,

Thank you for you answer. I'm inclined to disagree with you in some ways as the compamies who have acquired the equipment and software will for have different requirements especially when it comes to future proofing the skils required to install, operate and manage it. New education and certification pathways will be spawned up and as such the value of the Brocade certification is also deemed less valuable over time.

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen

Thanks Erwin, I really appreciate your perspective!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook