Brocade University

Occasional Contributor

BCI200 - Cisco - Brocade Comparisons

What model of Cisco switch was used in writing up the comparisons?

In newer switches the switchport trunk encapsulation command is not used because there is no ISL option.

External Moderator

Re: BCI200 - Cisco - Brocade Comparisons

@jpfulton314

--->>>In newer switches the switchport trunk encapsulation command is not used because there is no ISL option.

the answer is in the question itself.

encapsulation is not supported in newer switches, but supported in old / legacy Switches

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Re: BCI200 - Cisco - Brocade Comparisons

Then why does the BACII-200 course list the old command, as if there is an ISL option?  There is no choice between ISL and dot1Q beccause ISL is discarded and dot1q is the default, and therefore no choice is needed.

In all discussions regarding tagging, Brocade uses the old Cisco commands (5 times).  I can only assume they were using very old equipment to display the configs.

Please take the time to download the BACI-200 course and go to the last section.  Look in the Layer2/3 Feature Comparison section and you will see what I mean. 

I guess that the best we can hope for here is that the study guide is written so that the commands reflect what is likely to be found on more current equipment.  Perhaps that's something for the owners to take up, if they decide to continue the BACI program (even if under a different name).

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook