Application Delivery (ADX)

New Contributor

port-holddown-timeout needed with reset-on-port-fail?

I am having an issue where a server reboots, and I still see flows going to the server that failed its health check/keepalive. I have l4-check-only enabled for http, and port http keepalive configured on the real server. I see the server failed its keepalive by doing a sh server bind, but I still see a flow when I go into rcon 1 1 and issue sh session all 1 | inc <my IP>. I refresh, and browse around the site, and I still get timeouts. I know the default ummm "flow timeout" value is 2 minutes, where existing connections will still flow to a failed server but new connections will go to another active server in rotation. I figured that reset-on-port-fail on the virtual would take care of this by sending a reset to the client, but it doesnt seem to have.

no session persistence enabled, that is being kept in the DB.

Bad thing the real server is a VM so restarts only take about 6 seconds.

Sorry if some of this is a little vague and terminology is a little off new to this device but familiar with a few other LB venders.

I have configured the port-holddown-timeoute value to the same as I have configured a keepalives on the ports globally (total time for server to fail is 16 seconds) , but need to wait to see if the customer still sees the issue. I havent seen any yet except from the application.

Nic

New Contributor

Re: port-holddown-timeout needed with reset-on-port-fail?

It seems, so far, that configuring the port-holddown-timeout value to 16 seconds to match the time a real server would be taken out of rotation after failing its keepalive as helped alleviate the issue the customer was seeing. I think they are just running into application issues now, possibly with persistence they are keeping in the database.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook