04-30-2009 09:51 PM
Is the following possible with Brocade’s ServerIron? I have a HTTPS based application and I would like to spray traffic as follows:-
1) Spray traffic to 2 more ports on 2 or more machines in a data center.
2) Spray traffic to 2 or more data centers, each of which has 2 or more machines each with 2 or more ports, preferably with geography in mind.
3) Allow the failure of any one port or box and to direct traffic away from the box that is failing
4) Allow the failure of any one data center and to direct traffic away from the data center that is failing
5) Allow the definition of failure to be based on the loss of the box (ping the machine)
6) Allow the definition of failure to be based on loss of the port (process) by checking he process or seeing the port has closed
7) Allow the definition of failure to be based on load on a machine (if machine load is greater then say 80%, direct load to a box with lesser load).
8) Allow management control of any one box allowing us to take a box out of the spray list dynamically while PROD is running, and letting load flow to the other boxes
9) Allow management control of any one data center allowing us to take a data center out of the spray list dynamically while PROD is running and letting load flow to the other data centers
04-30-2009 10:01 PM
1) Yes - you can bind multiple ports for the same application.
2) Yes – Global Server Load Balancing (GSLB) feature provides this functionality.
3) Yes – It can be provided by port tracking or boolean health checks.
4)Yes - GSLB
5)Yes - ICMP health check
6)Yes – L4 health check
7)Yes – You can leverage load balancing predictors which can leverage Response time, SNMP predictor which interrogate CPU/Memory usage on real servers, or custom scripted health-check page