Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

Using Layer 2 code I am seeing ARP leaking to the wrong VLANs - am I doing seomthing wrong?

Hi all,

I do have a ServerIron using L2 code. I do have multiple VLANs configured and several source-ip's. I have taken a trace in one of the VLANs and it looks like I am seeing ALL the ARPs in there. It looks like the ServerIron is sending the ARPs for ALL real servers into this VLAN even if the real servers are in another VLAN. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Using Layer 2 code I am seeing ARP leaking to the wrong VLANs - am I doing seomthing wrong?

This is related to the way Layer 2 code is working. You might have realized that there is no IP to VLAN linkage in the configuration using Layer 2 code. You are configuration is containing VLANs and it is containing IP addresses but you do not see that the IP addresses are part of a VLAN/bound to a VLAN. Layer 2 code acts like a switch by default. VLANs are good to separate the broadcast domains BUT the ServerIron itself is still going to send out ALL his ARP to ALL VLANs because he behaves like being a L2 device with a single IP only.

Please have a look at the "ip-subnet" command below the VLAN configuration:

vlan 100

ip-subnet 192.168.9.0 255.255.255.0

This command is going to restrict ARPs to a destination address inside the given IP subnet to VLAN 100 because it is configured for VLAN 100.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook