Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Sticky + Round Robin

[ Edited ]

I have a VIP which I would like to remain sticky but also round robin.  Can I use sticky as well as round robin at the same time? 

For instance request1 comes in from 10.99.99.99 and the ADX will send that to server1 and will continue to send it server1 for the duration of the sticky timeout.  Request2 comes in from 10.88.88.88 and the ADX sends it to server2 for the duration of the sticky.  What happens if another request comes from 10.99.99.99 will the ADX send that to server1 based on sticky or round robin?  

Contributor

Re: Sticky + Round Robin

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If sticky is configured, then for the same client ADX will use the same backend server where the first request for that client was sent. It will use the round robin to select the server when a new client connects for the first time.

PS: If client does not connect during the sticky timeout period then later it will be treated as new client. 

-Mohit Sahni
Contributor

[ Edited ]

So if we are using sticky then anything within the sticky timeout (5 minutes) that matches will be sent to the same server as long as its up?  is there a way to force traffic between real servers while still using sticky?

I am seeing the ADX send all the traffic to one server with clients with different source IPs and I want it to send traffic from 10.99.99.99 to server1 and traffic from 10.88.88.88 to server2. If the source IP is the same fine I am ok with sending to the same server during the sticky window.  

Contributor

Hi,
If you take a large enough sample size of clients the you will see how it works. In your case probably the second client is going to different packet processor which has its own sticky session.
-Mohit Sahni

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook