08-21-2014 02:26 PM
We have a 7 node SharePoint farm. Three of the SharePoint servers in this farm are responsible for serving client requests when a client attepts to go to a particular sharepoint site. Additionally, we utilize a Brocade adx SI-1000 to perform health checks, load balancing, etc. The goal we are trying to achieve is as follows:
1. Client requests (https) arrive at the SI-1000 (e.g. vIP) for SharePoint site "A" (https://sp.domain.com/SiteA).
NOTE: All SharePoint sites can be served by either of the three SharePoint webheads mentioned above.
2. The Brocade adx SI-1000 then attempts to send the client request to all SharePoint (real server) webheads. However, each SharePoint webhead is experiencing an application problem (e.g. IIS pools are down, IIS service is not running, etc.) and cannot respond to the request.
NOTE: Authentication is required (using NTLM pass-through).
3. As a result of the SharePoint sites all being in a "non-responsive state", redirect client request to a completly different URL/website (static web page) hosted on a completly different server that is not at all associated with SharePoint server farm.
How do I configure this scenario using Content Switching (CSW) Layer 7 type rules? Would this scenario require CSW rules?
I have been looking for examples on-line and not finding anything that coorlates with what I'm trying to achieve as described above.
08-29-2014 09:21 AM
There is a non csw way to do this. Only thing you have to make sure healthchecks are configured in a such a way that if servers are returning 50X code then real server port goes into failed state.
1. Define the server hosting static error page as an remote server on ADX and bind it to the same VIP port where 3 real servers are bound.
2. Now if any of the real server bound to the vip port is active then adx will not select remote server for load balancing.
3. As soon as all 3 real servers goes to failed state the ADX will start selecting the remote server for load balancing and since that server hosts the error page clients will see static error page on the screen.
Here is a link for more information