Application Delivery (ADX)

Occasional Contributor

How do I configure ServerIron to switch traffic for high availability application node failover use-case, not for load balancing

I need to make high availability failover solution with ServerIron. I have two identical real servers for high availability (Primary/Secondary), not setup for load sharing, in that both nodes/servers are running one specific application. The requirement is that only one application server can be live/active at any one time. So if the first node goes down, all the traffic will be switched to the second node and if later the first node becomes available, the second node will remain holding all the active application connections and also accept all new connections. This would only change if the Secondary node goes down and all the traffic will be switched back to the first node, and so on. (i.e. Single node persistence to ensure traffic is directed to one single node every time)

What CSW Scripting (Policies/Rules) do I need to accomplish  this ?

Super Contributor

Re: How do I configure ServerIron to switch traffic for high availability application node failover use-case, not for load balancing

Hi Zanager,

you do not even need CSW to do this from my point of view. There are so called primary and backup servers at the ServerIron. The ServerIron is going to send traffic to the primary servers only in case the primary servers are available. Backup server will be added to the load balancing pool as soon as all primary servers are not available. On top of that you can add a setting to stay at the backup serves until they do have a problem.

A configuration doing this would look like:

server real primary 192.168.100.101

port 1234

server real backup 192.168.100.102

backup

port 1234

server virtual myVirt 192.168.99.100

port 1234

port 1234 lb-pri-servers backup-stay-active

bind 1234 primary 1234 backup 1234

Is that what you are looking for?

The real server with the name primary and the IP address .101 is going to get all the traffic until it is down. The backup server with the name backup and the IP .102 jumps in as soon as the primary goes down. The backup server stays active even if the master/primary server comes back up again because of the "backup-stay-active" setting below the virtual server.

Occasional Contributor

Re: How do I configure ServerIron to switch traffic for high availability application node failover use-case, not for load balancing

Thanks, very helpful. Last question. Will the primary servers (assuming they are now online) be used if the backup servers fail

Super Contributor

Yes - the primaries will jump back in as soon as the backups go down. It is of course necessary that the primaries are back up again to do so.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook