Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

How do I configure DSR together with CSW?

I had no luck configuring this.

Super Contributor

Re: How do I configure DSR together with CSW?

DSR and CSW - I guess you would like to do Layer 7 Switching together with DSR.

I am sorry but this is not possible. This is NOT a restriction of the ServerIron/ADX - it is some kind of general protocol related restriction. All Layer 7 Switching feature do require some kind of "delayed binding". A TCP sessions needs to be terminated at the ServerIron first of all to have a look at the initial data packets. The content (layer 7) of these packets is getting used to select a real server and the connection is getting forwarded to the real server at this time but not earlier. There are basically two connections:

1. client -> ServerIron

2. ServerIron -> real server

The ServerIron needs to establish its connection after a few client packets. The ServerIron is using the client's IP address to do so. The 3-way handshake is not going to be successful in case you try to do this in a DSR setup. The server is going to reply directly to the client instead of sending the replies back to the ServerIron - this is the problem.

Additionally you would have problems in case you are going to rewrite/change layer 7 content - this implies that sequence numbers need to change etc. - the ServerIron/ADX needs to get ALL packets coming from the client and from the server because a seq# change influence all packets in a TCP connection. DSR is therefore unfortunately not possible with Layer 7 stuff but this is a general limitation as mentioned already.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook