Application Delivery (ADX)

den
Occasional Contributor

Hot standby redundancy questions

All,

Probably a newbie question... I'm configuring hot standby redundancy on SI-GT devices and need to clarify few points.

First, is there any way to configure realtime configuration replication between active and standby units?

Second, what IP address (if any) shared virtual MAC corresponds to? Is it just used for communication between 2 units in the pair?

And the last, how exactly MAC address migration happens in case of failover? The reason I'm asking is that I intend to connect both SI-GT units in the pair to a single unmanaged switch and I'm not sure failover event wouldn't interfere with switch MAC cache in some way. Also, does it migrate VIP MACs? The whole system is behind a firewall appliance, and VIP MAC change may cause connection block.

Thanks!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Hot standby redundancy questions

Den

Here is some good information on ServerIron High availability at this wiki here It goes into some detail on hot standby.

Specific to your questions, IP address assigned is just the mgmt IP. It is not necessarily used for heartbeat between ServerIron's

MAC migration: Both SI's share a common MAC. On failover, "new active" takes ownership of VIP and believe issues Gratuitous ARP to update switch ARP cache.

Syncing configuratons between SI: You can use the config-sync utility. it can sync in real time or at regular periods. It's not complete so some areas need to be manually sync'd if I recall but more information on how to set it up here

- z

den
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hot standby redundancy questions

Hi,

Thank you for pointing me to the documents, they were very helpful.

D.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook