Application Delivery (ADX)

Occasional Contributor

802.3 ad Bonded Mac Server

Hello Everyone!

I have a mac server 10.6 I am trying to configure my brocade switch to bond with the mac server, I have tried to setup lag on the switch and it complains of no partner.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Community Manager

Re: 802.3 ad Bonded Mac Server

Hi Nicholas,

Sorry about the delay in responding.  Are you still experiencing this issue?  If so, you didn't mention which switch model you were working but I'm going guess it's ADX.  Did you see the following rules/caveats?  Both sets apply for 802.3 ad.

Trunk group rules

• You can configure a maximum of eight ports in a trunk, port members of the trunk do not need to be continuous.

• You can have a maximum of 32 trunk groups.

• The port with the lowest port index will act as the primary port of the trunk group.

• You cannot configure a port as a member of a trunk group if 802.3ad link aggregation is also enabled on the port.

• You cannot combine fiber ports and copper ports in the same trunk group.

• You cannot combine Gigabit and 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports in the same trunk group.

• All the ports must be connected to the same device at the other end.

• All trunk group member properties must match the lead port of the trunk group with respect to the following parameters:

• Port tag type (untagged or tagged port)

• Port speed and duplex

• QoS priority

To change port parameters, you must change them on the primary port. The software automatically applies the changes to the other ports in the trunk group.

• If the hardware-based multicast switch feature is enabled, there is an impact on trunk load balancing. For details see “Additional trunk group rules for multi-slot trunk groups” on page 44.

• Make sure that the device at the other end of the trunk link can support the same number of ports in the trunk. For example, if you configure a five-port trunk group on the ServerIron ADX and the other end is a different kind of switch; make sure the other switch can support a five-port trunk group.

Additional "rules" for dynamic:

• You cannot use 802.3ad link aggregation on a port configured as a member of a static trunk group.

• When the feature dynamically adds or modifies a trunk group, the show trunk command displays the trunk as both configured and active. However, the show running-config or write terminal command does not display the new or changed trunk group configuration.

• If the feature places a port into a trunk group as a secondary port, all configuration information except information related to link aggregation is removed from the port. For example, if port 1/3 has an IP interface, and link aggregation places port 1/3 into a trunk group consisting of ports 1/1 – 1/4, then the IP interface is removed from the port.

• If you use this feature on a ServerIron ADX that is running OSPF, the feature causes these protocols to reset when a dynamic link change occurs. The reset includes ending and restarting neighbor sessions with OSPF peers, and clearing and relearning dynamic route entries and forwarding cache entries. Although the reset causes a brief interruption, the

protocols automatically resume normal operation.

• You can enable link aggregation on 802.1q tagged ports (ports that belong to more than one port-based VLAN).

Occasional Contributor

Re: 802.3 ad Bonded Mac Server

Thanks for the response, I solved the issue by using dynamic lag not static lag.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook