vADC Forum

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

The hostname X could not be resolved into an IP address

While attempting to cluster 2 new Stingray traffic managers I receive this error.

"There was a problem communicating with machine X:9080. The hostname X could not be resolved into an IP address."

DNS is set up and when I used the wizard to cluster them I did so based on the IP address, the name X showed up in the running traffic manager even though I found it based on IP.

I am able to see the 2nd traffic manager in the cluster but the primary traffic manager cannot send traffic to it.

Frequent Contributor

Re: The hostname X could not be resolved into an IP address

Hi Ashley,

Are you using the Stingray software or the virtual appliance?  With the software, you're responsible for setting up networking, DNS and the like, so you'll want to verify that /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts are set appropriately on both traffic managers.

The virtual appliance is a closed system.  You use the 'System' settings in the UI to configure many of the operating system properties, such as the DNS server setting, and any fixed DNS mappings in /etc/hosts.  Note that (unlike most of the traffic manager configuration) these items are specific to each traffic manager, so you will need to configure them appropriately on each traffic manager in your cluster.

Finally, get a shell on each traffic manager and verify that each machine can resolve and ping its peer.

It's generally good practice to configure the names of all of the traffic managers as fixed DNS names (implemented via /etc/hosts) on every traffic manager in your cluster.  This avoids the possibility of your cluster failing because of a DNS failure or misconfiguration.

Hope that this helps

Owen

Brocadian

Re: The hostname X could not be resolved into an IP address

I agree with Owen!

As an alternative (If for some reason you can not get name resolution to work) as of version 9.2 Stingray supports if a host name cannot be resolved, you can use an IP address to identify the traffic manager to cluster peers.

The IP address can be set at installation and can be changed from the Administration Server in the System > Traffic Managers > Replace Traffic Manager Name section.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.