vADC Forum

N/A
Accepted Solution

SteelApp AMI - traffic manager does not start and shows error

Hi,  I'm new to SteelApp so if I need to add more information please let me know.

I'm trying to create a new instances of SteelApp Standard Edition 10 Mbps using the AMI from AWS Marketplace (ami-9598feaf).

The AMI works when I do the stock standard install through AWS and run the install wizard through the web console.  I don't get any errors when I log into the console post wizard.

But when I try to automate the install process by adding user data in Step 3 of the AMI launch (to bypass using the wizard), I get the following error when I log into the console under Traffic Managers. This error disappears when I start the start the traffic manager software in the Diagnose tab of the console.  But when I reboot the server this error comes up again.

ip-172-31-10-24.ap-southeast-2.compute.internal: There was a problem communicating with machine localhost:9080. This may be because the software is not running. The error was: Failed to connect: "Socket connect failed" connecting to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1:9080) at connect.cpp:547.

Im using the following in the user data field (password/keys removed):

password=***********

accept_license=Yes

access_key_id=************************

secret_access_key=***********

timezone=Australia/Sydney

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brocadian

Re: SteelApp AMI - traffic manager does not start and shows error

Cass, I reproduced the behaviour you're seeing when 'User Data' is populated as described. I have used the 'password' field in the past and did not experience the problem so it seems the issue is caused by one or more of the additional fields.Since this appears to be a bug I'm submitting it to Riverbed Support and will update here when a resolution has been reached.

Brocadian

Re: SteelApp AMI - traffic manager does not start and shows error

Cass, this problem is now corrected with SteelApp 9.8r1 (available in AWS Marketplace).

As a side note you can now associate an IAM role with a SteelApp instance. The benefit is that you no longer have to provide the Access Key Id and Secret Access Key to SteelApp. See page 22 of the Cloud Services Getting Started Guide for details.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.