vADC Forum

Occasional Contributor

How do Traffic Managers redirect non-HTTP traffic with traffic script?

I got an issue which is that there are web servers getting data from DB servers and these servers are load-balanced by virtual traffic manager.

For some reaonss, I have to set DSR(Direct Server Return) on it so the servers can commuicate to each other directly.

I see how to set DSR with HTTP and RTSP traffic, but I can't find it with other traffic.

any idea?

Contributor

Re: How do Traffic Managers redirect non-HTTP traffic with traffic script?

Are you sure you need DSR? I don't see how it would help servers communicate with each others directly.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your comment.

May I ask you why?

even so, Could vTMs control non-HTTP traffic with TrafficScript? like redirection.

Contributor

I would require more info about your setup especially network topology.

If you want to leverage vTM power, you need to not do DSR because vTM is a layer 7 load balancer, handling client connections and multiplexing them over its own connections to your backends.

When DSR is useful, it usually means you can just forget about vTM because you need a simple router, not a layer 7 load balancer.

vTM can handle TCP traffic but what do you mean by redirection? Basically vTM is going to act as a TCP server and forward traffic to another TCP server, see protocols "Generic client first", "Generic server first" and "Generic streaming server".

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.