vADC Forum

Contributor

Disable NTP server (not client) on STM appliance

Is it possible to disable the NTP server - not the client part - on a STM appliance?

I found that I could sync the STM to a good NTP source, and then point all our production server to it to get the time.

The network team suggests that we use that good source directly, and we disable the NTP server on the STM.

I've looked through all the options, and I didn't find any radio button or option to turn it off, only a place to add server for it to sync to directly.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Disable NTP server (not client) on STM appliance

Hi Derek,

There's no formally supported way to stop the ntpd from running.

You can edit the startup scripts - the ntpd is run from init.d in the standard sysv fashion.  The easiest way is:

root@stingray-1:/etc# update-rc.d  -f ntp remove 

Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/ntp ...

/etc/rc1.d/K23ntp

/etc/rc2.d/S23ntp

/etc/rc3.d/S23ntp

/etc/rc4.d/S23ntp

/etc/rc5.d/S23ntp

... and then either restart, or (better) run /etc/init.d/ntp stop

Please be aware that:

1. When you perform a major upgrade of your virtual appliance, the new image will run ntp, so you'll need to manually repeat this procedure
  2. If you ever hit problems relating to timekeeping and you need to raise with out support team, please explain that the local ntpd is not running

Best regards

Owen

Contributor

No CLI with the appliance, so I guess I can't disable it.Owen Garrett

Frequent Contributor

I've spoken with Derek offline concerning the CLI options for the Stingray appliances

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.