vADC Docs

Tech Tip: Using the RESTful Control API with Perl - addpool

by ricknelson on ‎04-02-2013 02:32 AM - edited on ‎07-14-2015 03:25 PM by PaulWallace (1,309 Views)

The following code uses Stingray's RESTful API to add a pool.   The code is written in Perl. This program creates a new pool, "pltest", first doing a GET to make sure the pool doesn't already exist, and if the pool doesn't exist, the pool is created by doing a PUT with just the minimum data needed to create a pool.  In this case the program creates a properties hash with just one node.  All other values will get default values when Stingray creates the pool.

addpool.pl

#!/usr/bin/perl

use REST::Client;

use MIME::Base64;

use JSON;

# Since Stingray is using a self-signed certificate we don't need to verify it

$ENV{'PERL_LWP_SSL_VERIFY_HOSTNAME'} = 0;

my $poolName = 'pltest';

my %pool = (properties => {basic => {nodes => [ '192.168.168.135:80']}});

my $url = "/api/tm/1.0/config/active/pools/$poolName";

# Set up the connection

my $client = REST::Client->new();

$client->setHost("https://stingray.example.com:9070");

$client->addHeader("Authorization", "Basic " . encode_base64("admin:admin"));

#First see if the pool already exists

$client->GET($url);

if ($client->responseCode == 404) {

$client->addHeader("Content-Type", "application/json");

$client->PUT($url, encode_json(\%pool));

my $poolConfig = decode_json $client->responseContent();

if ($client->responseCode() == 201) { # When creating a new resource we expect to get a 201

print "Pool $poolName added";

} else {

print "Error adding pool. status=" . $client->responseCode() . " Id=" . $vsConfig->{error_id} . ": " . $vsConfig->{error_text} . "\n";

}

} else {

if ($client->responseCode() == 200) {

print "Pool $poolName already exists";

} else {

print "Error getting pool config. status=" . $client->responseCode() . " Id=" . $vsConfig->{error_id} . ": " . $vsConfig->{error_text} . "\n";

}

}

Running the example

This code was tested with Perl 5.14.2 and version 249 of the REST::Client module.

Run the Perl script as follows:

$ addpool.pl

Pool pltest added

Notes

The only difference between doing a PUT to change a resource and a PUT to add a resource is the HTTP status code returned.  When changing a resource 200 is the expected status code and when adding a resource, 201 is the expected status code.

Read More

Contributors