Wingspan

Kelly.Herrell

With Top Talent, Brocade Accelerates Pace of NFV Development

by Kelly.Herrell on ‎03-03-2014 07:45 AM (3,386 Views)

News is getting out fast about the momentum of A-players joining the software drive at Brocade. It started last year, notably with Dave Meyers joining the CTO office, and recently Tom Nadeau and Benson Schliesser came aboard. I’m still surprised Robert Bays (CTO of Vyatta) has stayed in the shadows given his far-reaching influence on the industry; his name won’t stay in the background for long.

There are others on the move at Brocade as well, not all of which is public yet. One piece is that the board of the OpenDaylight Project selected our own Matt Wolpin to lead the marketing efforts for this important community project.

And so our speed increases… right in sync with the pace of change in the networking industry.

One observation I made last year was that SDN and NFV were going to start conceptually merging due to the fact that both are part of “the great deconstruction” of network infrastructure, and their combinatorial disruptive effect on the networking industry is substantial. My observation barely made it under the wire -- now I see that on the ONS website, the browser header reads “Premier SDN, NFV and OpenFlow Conference.” Upon further thought, this is impressive given that the term “NFV” didn’t exist 14 months ago.

So we hope to see you at ONS in Santa Clara this week. Look for us (and our recruiters) around the show. Here are a few highlights to look for:

• Brocade’s a “Visionary Sponsor”
  • Our booth will feature a demo of large traffic network flows with OpenFlow 1.3
  • We are included in Intel’s plenary session
  • Attend our session on “Flow-Aware Real-Time SDN Analytics” by Ramki Krishnan, Principal Architect and Director – and vote for us in the SDN Idol competition

And with IETF / IRTF in London the same week, we’re splitting duties across continents with some notable names:

• Dave Meyer is in the IRTF’s SDN Research Group and Network Complexity Research Group, along with a variety of IETF drafts
  • Benson Schliesser is co-chairing the NVO3 meeting among other activities
  • Tom Nadeau will co-chair the Energy Management and NetMod working groups, along with key roles in I2RS and Service Function Chaining

There’s a lot going on, and we’re just now building our head of steam. If you’re excited about the new disruptions in networking, you need to be looking at Brocade.