Wingspan

The Future's So Bright - I Gotta Lose Weight

by Ian.Whiting on ‎08-24-2009 09:00 AM (537 Views)

It’s All about Social Media, Dude!

Get with the program, Ian…

I recently had the distinct pleasure of watching and critiquing presentations from the “Brocade Class of 2009” University Hires. This was the culmination of the University Development Program on-boarding process.

Wow! What a bunch of bright recruits!

One of the topics the team chose for their “passing out parade” presentation was the use of Social Media (blogging, YouTube, Twitter, etc.) as a way for Brocade to increase brand awareness, have a louder voice on industry topics, and generally get our name out there. Boy, did I learn a few things.

I’m relatively new to this blogging game and have to admit that I had to be cajoled into contributing something (hopefully of mild interest to some of you) as part of our company’s effort in this area. As you can see from the date of my last blog posting, I’m not exactly a prolific blogger.

But not for much longer! I have seen the light! When I saw some of the statistics that our University Hires presented and the potential to reach such huge groups of people, I realized what a great medium this is for getting your message across. So here is my first contribution as an enlightened blogger, not one that has been strong-armed into action!

Sales Integration
We just completed the first full quarter as a fully integrated sales organization since our acquisition of Foundry. On May 1st we combined the sales teams of former Foundry and Brocade and created a single integrated sales organization that presents one face to the customer.

This has been a huge effort on everyone’s part. The sales teams have undergone mandatory training (SAN teams learning more about IP networking and LAN teams learning all about Fibre Channel). Many companies have attempted to do this in the past and failed due a lack of planning, investments in training, tools, and sales support.

Based on test results and general feedback, we appear to have hit a home run. Our sales team is feeling very positive and confident about its ability to represent the full portfolio of products to our customers. Customers want to understand our position and value proposition in both SAN and LAN. And more importantly, they want to see how we will help them architect networks today that let them migrate gracefully and at their own pace toward a converged network at some time in the future.

Phat Budgets and Skinny Ian
I am increasingly convinced that we are coming out of the global economic doldrums. Our recent Q3 results demonstrated continued strong performance for the company across the board.

Other large IT firms have come out with similar positive results and are also suggesting the bounce-back has begun. What gives me cause for such optimism? Hard data, that’s what.

Our pipeline of opportunities is growing by the day. Deals that were frozen for the past few quarters are beginning to thaw. Customers who have been right-sizing their IT purchases to meet strict budget controls are now buying what they need to run their business—not just what they can afford. MEGA deals are back, which segues nicely into my MINI-me-deal.

I got quite a wake-up call recently when I saw myself in a video clip with Jay Kidd, Chief Marketing Officer from NetApp, discussing the merits of Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) and our companies’ partnership.

Seeing yourself on video in real life is different than looking in the mirror every morning while shaving. I realized that I am getting old and looking a little too heavy. So I have challenged myself to lose 15 pounds in 12 weeks. I will let you know how I am doing each blog…no pictures though.

Comments
by
on ‎08-27-2009 09:36 AM

Good luck with the diet!

Dave