Wingspan

My Head in the Clouds - Rings and Things

by MaxRiggsbee on ‎02-24-2010 01:20 AM (309 Views)

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Do you remember, about six months ago? I told you the revolution would not be televised. Another step in the revolution is taking place in Vancouver British Columbia, Canada with the XXI Olympic Winter Games. The drama of these Games will be streamed across the Internet in rich, vivid High Definition (HD) format.

Let the Games begin! I won’t feel in “dire straits” because I don’t own a Digital Video Recorder (DVR). Broadband will allow me to experience Olympic HD Video On-Demand (VOD).

I want my, I want my VOD

Now look at that browser, that’s the way you view it
You play the hit show on the VOD
That ain’t waiting, that’s the way you view it
TV for nothing and your clips for free

The magic behind streaming HD across the Internet is based on Content Delivery Networks (CDNs), which are basically computer systems that are organized to hold copies of data. These computer systems are distributed globally to place data closer to end users—maximizing bandwidth and reducing access times. The systems work in concert to meet end-user requests for content. When necessary, they transparently move content to optimize its delivery. Ultimately, the objective of CDNs is to have the right content in the right place at the right time to reduce bandwidth costs and improve the end user’s Internet experience by reducing page load times.

We got to install VOD players
Select a program, now here it comes
We got to watch this on a computer
We got to watch this on a phone

CDNs are fairly transparent to us. We are unaware where a movie or audio is actually coming from. However, delivering video across the Internet is not a trivial undertaking. Before video can be sent across the Internet, it must be retrieved from back-end servers. The servers hold a lot of content and have to manage many requests. As you can imagine, availability, scalability and performance are critical to keeping pace with end-user demand. (CORPORATE ANGLE/PLUG DEMANDED BY PR DEPT.) -- Many of the top CDNs rely on Brocade ServerIron application delivery solutions to support the fast, reliable delivery of content.*

Now that ain’t waiting, that’s the way you view it
You watch your program on the VOD
That ain’t waiting, that’s the way you view it

As the eyes of the world focus on the XXI Olympic Winter Games, many will watch the games on desktops, laptops and phones. At anytime, to anywhere, from everywhere…the revolution will continue its march. The Brocade Application Delivery Product group is proud that our technology will play a key role in helping the world see “The thrill of victory! And the agony of defeat! The human drama of athletic competition!”

Get your TV for nothing, get your clips for free
TV for nothing, clips for free
Look at that, look at that
Get your TV for nothing, get your clips for free
(I want my, I want my, I want my VOD)
Easy, easy

The revolution will not be televised…it will be streamed. Enjoy the Games! (And apologies to Dire Straits.)

* PR People continue to haunt me throughout the blogging process. Anything you see above that is interesting or enjoyable must have slipped by them and should be completely credited to me.