Wingspan

Brocade Discovers Water On The Moon!

by Ian.Whiting on ‎10-16-2009 11:34 AM (282 Views)

OK, so it’s a bit of a stretch. But when I met with the ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) in India last week, I was informed that our products were used to build their high-performance network. The ISRO completed their first moon mission last year and discovered water on the surface of the moon  – so we can’t help but feel a part of this important discovery – one small step for LAN, one giant step for Brocade!  More on this later.

This was one of several eye-opening experiences last week on this trip to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, and New Delhi. For those of you who have done the grueling 20-hour trip from San Francisco to Singapore, you know how easy it is to “nod off” around mid-afternoon on day one of your busy meeting schedule.  I’ve heard of a hundred different ways to deal with jet lag – and none of them works for me! However, once you get into the swing of things, you remember how truly inspiring Asia is from a business perspective and how entrepreneurial, creative, and hard-working the people are.

Stage 1
One of the highlights of my stay in Singapore was a visit to MDA (the Media Development Authority) – a government agency set up to help establish Singapore as THE hub in Asia for the media and entertainment industry.  Singapore is already considered a major financial center in Asia, in the same league as London and New York.  There’s also a burgeoning biotech sector.  However, a lot of energy is now going into attracting major film and broadcasting companies to set up their post-production and computer graphics operations there.  Singapore hopes to rival Hollywood in this respect and is looking to Brocade to help them build out their network infrastructure to handle the expected uptick in traffic and bandwidth requirements.

I got to witness firsthand the very latest in super HD 3D (the third generation of 3D since the 1930s) and got insight into what awaits us (or more accurately our grandkids) in terms of 4D, a 360-degree viewing experience.  Trust me… it’s going to blow your mind.  Check out the latest James Cameron movie - “Avatar”  - due to be released in December.  Apparently, if you watch it at the cinema in 3D with those funky specs, the synapses in your brain will be sparking in ways never before experienced!

Stage 2
After Singapore I moved on to Kuala Lumpur – capital of Malaysia.  Malaysia is definitely a country on the move.  It is relentlessly focused on becoming the destination location for large multi-nationals to set up their Asian data centers and other IT operations.  I visited one of our key Brocade partners - Setia Haruman.  Setia is the master developer of an enormous IT park called Cyberjaya just outside Kuala Lumpur.

Cyberjaya covers more than 30,000 acres.  Besides boasting state-of-the-art data centers and call centers, the park includes hotels, schools, a golf course, shops and restaurants, a fire and police station, and housing for several thousand people.  In addition to building the data centers for companies like Shell, DHL, HSBC, IBM, HP, NTT, and many other household-name companies, Cyberjaya also provides the basic network infrastructure and fiber optics to light up these data centers.  And yes, you guessed it, a vast majority of the companies in Cyberjaya use Brocade SAN gear for their core business applications.

Stage 3
From Kuala Lumpur it was on to Mumbai, which also brings us back to the water on the moon story. ISRO, based in Bangalore, along with NASA, is recognized as one of the premier space research organizations in the world.  ISRO’s first moon mission took place last year.  They called it Chandrayan (which in the ancient Sanskrit language literally means “shuttle or vehicle to the moon”).   During the Chandrayan mission they actually discovered water on the surface of the moon.  What was so cool about this was that ISRO used Brocade BigIron RX switches and FastIron stackables as the network infrastructure to move the images captured on the moon to the high-performance servers (on Earth) where they could analyze these images and do all sorts of other smart things.  This was the most mission-critical (excuse the pun) application in the whole IT operation. ISRO has been a happy customer for over five years and based on the success of the Chandrayan mission, we hope they will be for many years to come.

Another major win for our India team was Brocade’s contribution to helping Cadence India (a world-renowned software design company) win a prestigious award for having the most Green data center in India, a competition organized by CNBC.  Leading the green initiative for Cadence India was Ashwin Rao, Director of IT and a strong believer in the Brocade BigIron RX with its unparalleled "Lean, Mean, and Green" power efficiency features that contributed significantly to this Best Green IT Project award. Kudos once again to Brocade engineering!

Final Stage
Back home, as my team and I close out another fiscal year, I can’t help but think about the future technologies that will shape how we experience everything from the moon to movies – and how these technologies will run on some of the world’s largest and most advanced networks powered by Brocade. Now, if I could just find a technology that automatically scans and converts all of my multi-currency receipts into a U.S. dollar-based expense report!