User Contributed

How To: Configure Interoperability in Mixed Fabric with Brocade Fabric OS Using Core/Edge Topology

by on ‎10-17-2009 06:47 AM - edited on ‎01-31-2014 11:48 AM by Brook.Reams_1 (317 Views)

Notice: The information in this Contribution is provided “AS IS,” without warranty of any kind.

The author TechHelp24 reserves the right to make changes to this document at any time, without notice, and assumes no responsibility for its use.

The author TechHelp24 shall have no liability or responsibility to any person or entity with
respect to any loss, cost, liability, or damages arising from the information contained in this contribution.

• Step 1: Switches/Fabric Config Backup
  • Step 2: Firmware and Software Version Compatibility
    • A list all in Interopmode Supported Release will be available soon. In the meantime refer please the FabricOS Release Notes.
  • Step 3: Domain ID
    • Domain ID offset Mode
    • Domain ID offset default mode (McDATA Legacy domain ID mode) - The default mode of 0x60
    • (96) is used when you enable IM2 or IM3 without specifying a domain ID offset.
    • In this mode,the supported domain ID ranges are 1-31 for IM2 fabrics, and 97–127 for IM3 fabrics.
    • 239 Domain ID offset mode - In this mode, the full range of domain IDs, 1-239, is available.
    • This mode is supported only in IM3. The Mi10K is the only M-Series switch that supports the
    • 239 Domain ID mode. To enable 239 domain ID mode, specify a domain ID offset of 0xFF.
    • Avoid Duplicate Domain IDs
    • Domain ID (DID) Table

DID Table.JPG

• Step 4: Brocade Interopmode
    • IM0 - Brocade Native
    • IM1 - Open-Mode
      • ( Notice: InteropMode 1 - former Open Mode - is no longer supported in Fabric OS v6.0 and above, but is continued supported in Fabric OS v2.x; v3.x; v4.x and v5.x )
    • IM2 - McDATA Fabric Mode
    • IM3 - Open fabric Mode
    • FOS features restrictions IM0 versus IM2 and IM3
  • Step 4a: McDATA Interopmode
    • McDATA Fabric Mode
    • Open Mode
  • Step 4b: Cisco Interopmode
    • IM0 = Cisco     
    • IM1 = Standard Interop Mode = Open Fabric Mode by Brocade and Mcdata
    • IM2 = Brocade Mode with PID 0
    • IM3 = Brocade Mode with PID 1
    • IM4 = McData Fabric Mode
  • Step 4c-S: Interopmode for QLogic Switches Family
  • Step 4c-R: QLogic Interopmode for Intelligent Storage Router Family iSR6xxx
  • Step 5: Port Connectivity  - Direct E_Port connectivity; EX_Port connectivity Fibre Channel Routing; N_Port connectivity Access Gateway NPIV;
  • Step 6: Supported Hardware in Interopmode
    • Brocade
    • Cisco
    • QLogic
  • Chapter 1 - Merging Brocade Fabric OS switches and McDATA Enterprise OS switches (M-EOS).
  • Chapter 2 - Merging Brocade Fabric OS switches and Cisco swicthes (SAN-OS / NX-OS)
  • Chapter 3 - Merging Brocade Fabric OS switches and QLogic switches
  • Util
    • Configuration
      • This is a Command line version of the ConfigUpload and ConfigDownload. This utility makes it easy to do simple config (upload/download) to switches using a DOS command line interface. This executable has options to allow reboots after configdownload, filter the config files, and download some or all parameters depending on the reboot parameter.
      • Makes it easy to do simple configuration (upload/download) of switches using a DOS command line.
      • NT, DOS Command line tool, make sure you have all these files inside your path: nthapi_2.dll, xerces-c_1_7_0.dll, and brcdrpc.dll. Setting your path to the current directory, should work.
      • Usage:
        configuration <-upload | -download>

(upload=switch-to-host, download=host-to-switch)
    • Converts McData zoning data to Brocade
      • This tool will allow you to migrate zoning data from a McData switch to a Brocade switch.
      • Supported Fabric OS One of the following at a minimum: 2.x; 3.x; 4.x
    • Chapter 4 - Interop-Mode is Obsolete in FOS 7
      • Since Brocade announce and released as GA Fabric Operating System Release 7.x, Interop-Mode is not longer in use.

content follows.....

Comments
by on ‎12-22-2009 10:04 PM

Dec. 23.2009 Rev. 10.

Step 4a Cisco Interopmode

was added

by on ‎12-22-2009 11:30 PM

Rev. 11

Edited; Step 4a: Cisco Interopmode as Step 4b

Added; Step 4a: McDATA Interopmode

Added; Step 4c-S: QLogic Interopmode for QLogic Switches Family

Added; Step 4c-R: QLogic Interopmode for Intelligent Storage Router Family iSR6xxx

by anthonyt on ‎01-27-2010 10:58 AM

Do you have the soucre code for the zone conversion and configuration tools?

by on ‎01-27-2010 08:02 PM

NO.

by anthonyt on ‎02-02-2010 02:18 PM

okay. thanks!

by on ‎02-03-2010 08:54 PM

Open a new threads please in Products, Technology, and Architecture . Thank You.

by js_unix_admins on ‎10-25-2010 06:04 AM

The zip file seems to be corrupt is there anywhere else I can get this converter tool from ?

by chori on ‎12-13-2010 10:31 AM

Where I cant get this guide? Thank You.

by 18707713798 on ‎02-16-2012 07:20 AM

good job!

by rjaladi on ‎10-16-2012 07:08 AM

Hi,

I have used above attached Mcdata to Brocade zone import tool and have succesfully migrated zones from Mcdata (DS4400) to Brocade DS300B, but when I try to use similar tool for Mcdata (DS24-M2) firmware version 09.08.01 2 to migrate zones to DS-300B (6.3), and I got below error message

Logging into 10.195.102.51... problem connecting to "10.195.102.51", port 23: Un

known error at C:\Users\rjaladi\Desktop\Zone Converter\mcdata_zone_converter_exe

\zone_convert.exe line 55

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Raj

by on ‎10-16-2012 09:49 PM

Raj,

the McDATA zone Converter is very old and honestly I'm a bit surprised that work with newest EOS and FOS.

Is probable the 4400 have a different EOS release ?

by rjaladi on ‎10-18-2012 01:24 AM

Hi,

Existing firmware on DS4400  and DS24-M2 switches is as below

09.00.00 76--- DS4400

09.08.01 2 ---- DS24-M2

and on Brocade DS300B firmware version is 6.3.---

and I am able to resolve Port23 issue, as both Telnet (Port 23) and SSH (Port 22) can't be active at the same time on DS24-M2 switches, so I have disabled SSH and run the mcdata_zone_converter.exe which has imported all zones from Mcdata to Brocade.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Raj

by karthik2.k on ‎11-22-2012 08:22 AM

Hi Guys,

I had to create a mixed Fabric with a Brocade 4900 & Cisco 9124 Switches. I used the Inter-Oper mode 3 in Cisco and made the ISL working.  The Fabric is in Sync. I'm doing all my zoning operations in Brocade and I see the zone & Zone Sets are distributed to Cisco. But I see the hosts connected in Cisco are not able to talk to storage which is connected in Brocade Switch. I confirm that the zonning is proper and both are placed in a zone.

Brocade 4900 - FOS v5.3.2.c

Cisco MDS 9124 - OS 4.1(1c)

Not Sure why is this happening any clue

Thanks

Karthik

by karthik2.k on ‎11-22-2012 12:22 PM

Good News for me.. Finally the Zoning worked. I see if we do zoning with pWWN instead of Node WWN its working.. In my setup Brocade is the principal switch where storage is connected and Cisco is the Subordinate where host is connected. I used the interop mode 3 in Cisco and it works fine.

Contributors