Under The Wing

Jeff Rangel

A Day in the Life...

by Jeff Rangel on ‎11-05-2012 11:50 PM (375 Views)

When one has the opportunity impact fiscal, public policy and community outcomes on a daily basis - most days are great. For this Corporate Responsibility (CR) leader, a day that involves critical investment of my time in all three of those areas is a fantastic day – one worthy of sharing with others.

It started, as with most days, multi-tasking while making my 43 mile commute using my Brocade provided eco-pass. I was finalizing a presentation for a 9am meeting with Brocade's OEM Account Teams.  The Company's partnerships with brands such as HP, IBM, Oracle and others require more than providing quality IT infrastructure products and services to global enterprises. It requires a systems view of corporate responsibility - including adherence to industry practices in supplier conduct. During the presentation I was able to share Brocade's progress in adopting the EICC Code of Conduct and related activities. It was rewarding to see an engaged group of colleagues collaborating on this important topic. Impacting fiscal outcomes - check.

After the presentation I put on my Government Affairs hat. Brocade is proud to be an active member of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group. Through the Leadership Group and other associations the Company aims to engage in and influence policy matters important to the business and the region. Considering November ballot measures, discussing a policy issue with Congressional staff and preparing for an upcoming Advocacy Trip to Washington DC were activities at the top of my list. These associations also afford unique opportunities, such as the Leadership Group's Annual Public Policy Luncheon, for employees to lend their skills and be more informed. Engaging employees and reviewing legislative activity - check.

Multi-tasking continued throughout the day as I responded to several inquiries about Brocade's annual Holiday Food & Fund Drive. Once again, U.S. employees are rallying to 'take a byte out of hunger.' Our collective goal this year is to raise funds for more than 400,000 meals for local families.  Executives, site 'Ambassadors' and employees alike are donating to Second Harvest Food Bank of San Mateo & Santa Clara CountiesSecond Harvest of Heartland [Minnesota], Community Food Share[Colorado] and Feeding America that are each working tirelessly to provide assistance to 1 in 6 AmericansInvesting in local communities - check.

The capstone to this fantastic day was the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal's '2012 Corporate Philanthropy Awards.’ For several years, the Business Journal has taken time to recognize the top 50 corporate philanthropists, based on cash contributions to Silicon Valley charitable organizations. I was proud to accept the award on behalf of Brocade, which ranked 33 this year - up from 39 last year! Collectively, the companies honored contributed $79.1 Million to local organizations, $40 Million from the top 5 alone.

It was a long day - most are - but it was so very rewarding. At Brocade, Corporate Responsibility is part of our cultural DNA. It's a privilege and delight for me to serve along with my fellow Brocadians to impact the world around us. After all, our employees expect it, customers require it and communities deserve it.