The Channel

Bill Lipsin: Memorable Moments of 2014 . . . and Resolutions for the New Year

by Kristina Scott on ‎12-15-2014 09:00 AM - last edited on ‎12-17-2014 11:16 AM by LisaR (1,079 Views)

BillLipsin_05WEB.jpgAs the end of one calendar year approaches and the start of new one is around the corner, I asked Brocade’s VP of Global Channel Sales and Marketing to share some of his memorable moments of 2014, and what his biggest plans are for 2015.

Q:  Looking back across 2014, what accomplishment(s) are you most proud of?

A:  We expanded our global programs and thinking to localize where justified. This included taking into consideration not just the sales and marketing elements of working with the channel but also the partners’ services investments.

Q:  What made the greatest impression on you since joining Brocade?

A:  The desire to collaborate, both internally and externally, to do the right thing for the customer is more than just words but rather a constant barometer for us to measure ourselves with our investments and actions.

Q:  Describe something that surprised you about Brocade’s channel partners and programs?

A:  One of the areas that has caught me by surprise is that, in some of our partner organizations, there is a lack of understanding as to how best to leverage the programs and investments that Brocade makes available to accelerate partners’ success.

Q:  Describe some things that Brocade partners would find surprising about you?

A:  It often surprises Brocade partners to learn that I’ve walked a mile in their shoes having been one of the key executives for a $500M VAR/SI. I believe that this helps me in viewing programs and Brocade actions from a unique perspective.

Q: About how many miles have you flown to visit with Brocade partners?

A:  Last year…my first as Brocade Channel Chief… I flew over 200,000 miles. I believe that it is important for me to be face-to-face with our partners and our Brocade teams. Face-to-face helps all of us gain a better understanding of creating stronger relationships and communications.

Q:  Tell us about the most out-of-the-way/unusual/new destination (for you) that you’ve traveled to meet with a Brocade partner?

A:  I have literally been all over the world to meet with partners. If they want to spend the time and share their thoughts about how to work closer with Brocade, I am more than willing to jump on a plane to meet with them. That means that almost no destination is out of the way for me.

Q:  What was your most memorable meal shared with a Brocade partner?

A:  I still laugh to myself thinking of a dinner that I spent with one of Brocade’s distributors. The camaraderie and humor that we shared was one of the best times that I have had all year. I can never look at truffles the same way.

Q: Can you share one or two of your New Year’s resolutions?

A:  While it’s not yet 2015, it is Brocade’s new fiscal year. My resolutions for this fiscal year are to:

• Drive greater growth for Brocade’s channels and Brocade in both traditional areas of focus such as network edge and data center, as well as in emerging opportunities in cloud and services
  • More aggressively accentuate Brocade’s unique differentiators in working with partner and customers.