Storage Networks

Swimming and Fibre Channel? A Father’s Self-Serving Blog

by Scott Shimomura on ‎06-07-2012 12:31 AM - last edited on ‎10-28-2013 08:15 PM by bcm1 (2,408 Views)

They said it couldn’t be done, but this is the beauty and flexibility of blogging. I am writing a blog that combines my home life as a swim parent and my work life leading the product marketing team for Brocade’s Data Center SAN business.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The photo on the top is a picture of the Bellarmine College Prep swim team that won an unprecedented 28th consecutive Central Coast Section (CCS) championship. The photo right below is the University of California, Berkeley men’s swim team that just won their 2nd consecutive NCAA championship. The Bells (helped by my son Sam) are a dynasty and the Cal Bears (where Sam will be swimming next year) are a dynasty in the making.

You may be asking yourself at this point, what does this have to do with Fibre Channel SANs? Brocade Fibre Channel has built a long dynasty (more than a decade) as the network infrastructure leader for mission critical storage. In the recently reported first calendar quarter of 2012, Dell’Oro reported that Brocade picked up 6% of overall market share to move to 71.1%, the bulk of which came from a 10% share surge in director-class switches.

Brocade has been the technology and thought leader throughout the history of the Fibre Channel industry. Never satisfied with “just good enough”, Brocade has out-executed its competitors and outlasted its critics. It has led every transition to new platform technology including the recent introduction of 16 Gbps technology.

Dynasties aren’t the result of serendipity or random action; they are the result of strong leadership, a success-driven culture, and an insatiable appetite for winning. It isn’t about individual accomplishments; it’s about teams and companies consistently succeeding over time. It’s a continuum that builds from a core strength and evolves to achieve higher levels of success.

My social media activities span two very different worlds. Most people in the swimming community don't know Fibre from Fiber (the ultimate SAN insider joke), and most people in the SAN industry couldn't care less about swimming. I have had the good fortune to be associated with success in both and couldn't be happier.

And of course, Go Bells! Go Bears! Go Fibre Channel! (ok the last one really doesn't work...)