SAN Health Utility

Understanding the Visio Diagram

by Moderator ‎04-23-2012 01:21 PM - edited ‎04-03-2014 09:21 PM (2,460 Views)

For a list of SAN Health topics, please see SAN Health Help

The Visio diagram is a point-in-time physical representation of the audited fabric including switches and devices.  There is also a high-level diagram that only includes the switches on a separate tab.  (This can be toggled on or off in the Options.)

One of the devices in my Visio diagram has decoded with the wrong vendor name. Why is this?

Devices are decoded back to the original manufacturer’s name through use of the WWN. For example, an HP XP storage array may display as Hitachi. However, if you see a device in your report that has been identified incorrectly, please send this information to SHAdmin@brocade.com, so the decode can be corrected.

One of my Visio icons shows my storage array as a host. Why is this?

It is not always possible to decode the device to this level when the information cannot be derived from the SCSI inquiry data. In such cases, higher-level assumptions are made, such as grouping common HBA vendors (such as Emulex and JNI) as hosts.  If you see a device that is misidentified, please inform SAN Health Admin and we will look into the specifics to see if the device can be better decoded.

I heard that the Visio diagram has detailed device and switch information. Where is it?

SAN Health populates custom properties onto every icon or connector in Visio. This greatly helps with navigating the diagram when Visio is zoomed out to a screen resolution where you can no longer read the icon text. In order to view detailed device and switch information, select View -> Custom Properties Window. After this is enabled, just click on any device or switch and highly detailed information will be displayed in a text box as shown below:

ebx_1263983456.gif

The graphic above shows an Emulex HBA selected with the custom properties displaying its zone membership, firmware and driver versions, and the Node World Wide Name.

Why doesn't my Visio diagram fit well on my printer page?

To make manipulating your Visio diagram easier, each switch and its corresponding devices have been grouped. If you have to move the diagram components to match the paper size or the logical topology, select the switch group and move it as a whole.

When printing the diagram, the easiest way to get the paper size correct is to use the "Page Setup" menu in Visio. On the "Printer Setup" tab, select the "Paper size" to be the largest paper size that you have available on the printer.

In general most people will also select "Fit To 1 Page", however if there are a large number of switches and a small paper size is in use, you may need to select "fit to 2 sheets across by 1 sheet down."

Take note of the "Printer paper" dimensions as you will need them in the next step.

ebx_-776010399.gif

On the "Page Size" tab, select "Custom size."

Set a custom paper size that is a multiple of the printer paper size that you noted in the previous step. For example, you may select a paper size that is 2.3 x (Original paper size). It is important to maintain the same aspect ratio.

Next take note of the diagram on this screen, the objective is to have the "Drawing Page" match as closely as possible to the "Printer Page". When this is the case, page space is not wasted.

The wasted space is indicated by the hashed area on in the following diagram:

ebx_-1069623072.gif

Set a page size that is as close to the printer page aspect and scale as possible. This could require several iterations of moving the switch and device groups around and then changing the custom page size. The easiest way to do this is to start with a custom size that is too big, then starting in one corner, move the switch and devices around to try to fit them more efficiently into the aspect ratio determined by the printer page. Once complete, shrink the custom size down.

Don’t forget that the drawing border frame is also part of the drawing and if you resize the drawing, you will need to resize the frame.

For questions not answered here, please write to SAN Health Admin

Contributors