SAN Health Utility

Contributor

San Health is showing ports as "PossiblyFaulty" but they look fine

Hello,

We have a couple of switches where San Health shows ports as "PossiblyFaulty" in the Media column on the F_San (Fabric Summary) tab.  I ran a second San Health to see if it changed but the status is the same.  On one switch it is just one port but on the other there are multiple ones connected to servers, tapes and a core switch.

Everything looks fine on these ports but given that we have had recent problems on this San what is this trying to tell me?

Frequent Contributor

Re: San Health is showing ports as "PossiblyFaulty" but they look fine

Hi flipper

I would log into your switches and start to look at those individual ports which are being reported as having errors.

There are some counters which you can reset and monitor if they come back again , if they do then you might have a physical hardware issue , like a bad SFP or possible cable.

Regards

David

Hi flipper,

SAN Health doesn't typically translate any of the statuses within the switch.  It simply collects the data and then presents it.  Most likely the switch has labeled the port as "PossiblyFaulty."  Please telnet to the switch and check the status of the port directly.  If you cannot determine where SAN Health is getting the "PossiblyFaulty" status by doing this, please let us know the name of the .BSH file at shadmin@brocade.com and we will look into the report generation logs to see why this is the case.

Hope this helps!

HealthDude

Contributor

Hello,

I have tried all available commands that I can think of and the ports seem fine.

I have emailed Tony_Dolphin_090512_1956_San_A.BSH.

I would be grateful for any help on this - we had a serious hang on this san a few weeks ago and I want to make sure that this is not a contributing factor.

Regards
Tony

Contributor

Just to update this with the e-mailed response - the "PossiblyFaulty" comes from the sfpshow output.  In our case they show "Can not read Serial Data!".

Thanks - I know what to work on now.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.