SAN Health Utility

SAN Health - Understanding the Report Generation Process

by Moderator ‎04-23-2012 01:19 PM - edited ‎04-23-2014 11:36 AM (4,617 Views)

For a list of SAN Health topics, please see SAN Health Help

SAN Health is essentially made up of three pieces of software.  There is the SAN Health client application (also called SAN Health Diagnostics Capture) that the end user runs to collect data from their switches.  There is the SAN Health Report Generator software that is run and maintained at Brocade headquarters, and there is SAN Health Professional which is also an end user client application that can be run to view the data in a .SHData file that gets returned to the end user along with the Excel (.XLS), Visio (.VSD) files, and Comma Separated Values (.CSV) files.  See below for common report generation questions.

I have just run SAN Health and completed the capture. Now what should I do?

You will see two new files in the working directory: <Your_Name>_<DateTime>_<SANName>.LOG and <Your_Name>_<DateTime>_<SANName>.BSH.

1) The log file is simply a record of the audit that completed and is useful when scheduling repeat or unattended audits.

2) The Brocade SAN Health (BSH) data file contains the encrypted and compressed raw diagnostic data from the switches that were audited. You must submit this data file to the Brocade report queue for processing.  BSH Files may be sent to the report processing queue as an email attachment to SHUpload@brocade.com or by using the secure web upload athttps://my.brocade.com/upload/ReportGeneration.jsp.

Can I have a copy of the report generator application?

The SAN Health application that you run to gather the diagnostic data is a relatively small and simple application. This is unlike the report generator, which is a large and extremely complex clustered application. It is not a portable application as it has very specific processing and external library components. Additionally, due to the fact that the world is constantly changing, the SAN Health team is constantly adding new decodes, firmware levels, hardware support, etc. to the SAN Health report generators.  In fact, we update the report generation servers on average twice a week. It would be impossible to support this level of complexity and continued change with a distributed software model. On the positive side, centralization does allow the SAN Health team to be very responsive to user requests for updates and changes, as, after testing, implementation is simply a matter of adding the new code to one of the weekly updates to the report server cluster.

The last screen of the program tells me that it will take 48 hours to return the report. Is that true?

This is stated as a maximum, but in reality it depends on how large your data file is. A single switch data file processes in about ten minutes, whereas a 2000-port SAN takes several hours. Each data point in Excel takes time to locate and place, and this can quickly add up with 2000 ports!  A multi-thousand port fabric can take several days to process, but this is the exception as most files are much smaller than this.

If you do not receive your report back after 48 hours please contact SHAdmin@brocade.com.

If contactingSHAdmin@brocade.com, it is important that you specify the exact name of the BSH file that you sent to the queue. A large number of files are processed every day and tracking may only be achieved if you specify the BSH file name that you are looking for.

The easiest way for you to speed up the report generation process is to reduce the number of switches in your audit.  If you have multiple fabrics, it is a best practice to audit only one at a time.

I'm using FTP to transfer the diagnostic data file. What do I need to know?

This information is included in an effort to encourage people to check their FTP settings if they are moving the SAN Health data file (.BSH) between servers before sending the file to the report generation queue.

The file contains a CRC checksum, and when it reaches the queue it will be rejected if the contents have been corrupted. A surprising number of people manage to corrupt the file, mostly forgetting to set FTP to binary mode if using FTP to move the BSH file between servers. Other colorful examples of how files can be corrupted include manually editing the file before submitting it, sending the file as an attachment from a 2 way pager, moving the file via the copy/paste method over Windows Remote Desktop, etc.

When I email the diagnostic file I get a response saying that the BSH file is not attached.

A common error that causes this response is when the end user zips the BSH file before submitting it. The BSH file is already compressed (as well as double encrypted) and does not need further compression. Please leave the .BSH file as a .BSH file when attaching it to the submission email.  Alternatively, BSH files may also be submitted via the secure web page at https://my.brocade.com/upload/ReportGeneration.jsp.

How are the Excel reports, the Visio diagrams, the SAN Health Professional files, and the CSV files returned to me?

As soon as the report has completed processing, an e-mail will be sent to you with the details for secure sign-on to a download page at My Brocade. Your report will be retained on this page for 30 days and then deleted, so it is important that you obtain your report within this timeframe.  Please resubmit the .BSH file to be processed again if you need a copy of the report after the 30-day deletion period.

For questions not answered here, please write to SAN Health Admin

Contributors