SAN Health Utility

Occasional Contributor

Capturing Port Statistics

Hi all,

Hope someone can help. I'm a newbie to the community but dont hold that against me !.

I use Brocade 200E and 4100E fibre switches. They are both running Fabric OS 5.2.0a. I'm trying to capture to a file the delta Port Statistics In Bytes(MB) and Out Bytes(MB). The Java API shows these delta statistics in 15 second time slices.

What I am ultimately trying to achieve is a 24 hour snapshot of port statistics between the replication port of two Sun/Oracle Sans which includes the high burst statistics as well as total data throughput. From this I can determine how much replication data is passed from San 1 to San 2 and when it is the most busy. This in turn will allow me to determine whether FCoE is a viable option down a 1Gb line.

Possibly in ignorance to a better and FREE solution, my approach has been to open the API and use a screen scraper application to capture the 15 second time slices. This works great except that after two hours the WebTools connection times out.

Question:

1) Does anyone know how to change the "webtools.session.ttl" Telnet setting from 7200 in order to increase it beyond 2 hours?

2) Is there a better approach to obtaining these statistics over a 24 hour period?

Many thanks,

Neil.

Super Contributor

Re: Capturing Port Statistics

Hello Neil,

you have different options.

1) Download from Brocade the free tool SAN health. You can capture performance data. You have to send the BSH file to Brocade and you will get back a nice report and topology view.

2.) Query the performance data via SNMP ( You can use MRTG to graph the data)

3.) Run a shell or Perl script to login and grab for the data you are looking for

I hope this helps.

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Andreas.

1) I looked into this but it didnt appear to provide what I was after, and the frequency of the runs I plan to do would mean I would be sending BSH files off all the time

2) Again, I considered this. We use SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor, but we never got further than making an SMNP connection. There didnt appear to be any way to extract the information. This may have been down to missing MIBs on the monitor. If you have a link to any Brocade MIBs I could give this another try.

3) Option 3 has merit although Perl scripting is not my area of experience. I considered extracting the information via Telnet but I could not find any CLI commands that displayed delta port stats. Thats where my question regarding the "webtools.session.ttl" command came from.

Thanks for your assistance with this matter Andreas. If you can help any further I would be grateful.

Regards,

Neil.

Super Contributor

You can try to run  snmpget commands against the SAN switches to get the performance data.

1.3.6.1.3.94.4.5.1.6 and .7 are some counter to check.

Please have a review on the MIB guide from Brocade. Take the MIB guide which belongs to your FOS code.

keep in mind that these are 32bit counter which can quickly roll over.

Port 0 can be found at index .1 and so on.

I hope this helps.

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Thanks again. I'll give it a try.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.