05-31-2013 03:51 AM
We currently have 2 BR RFS6000 controllers and a host of AP's which we are having a very annoying issue with. It is set up to use a captive portal and uses radius authenication with client access time's of a day and inactivity timeouts at 30mins.
Some of our user's this works fine so they will log on to the wireless in the morning and will be connected all day without having to enter their credentials again. Our other user's however will constantly have to re-enter their credentails as it logs them off if any of their devices go to sleep or disconnect from the wireless.
What's more confusing is if one of the use's that will stay logged in all day log's on to one of the device's that disconects it will actually stay connected and work fine. This seems to suggest it is something to do with the account's however we cant see any options relating to this under the account profiles.
Any help would be very much appreciated
05-31-2013 07:54 AM
Greetings jjeffries. Can you include the firmware version for the controllers and the model/firmware for the APs? Was there a site survey done? Reason I ask, to me, this sounds like interference and the client connections are getting dropped as a result. When the link is reestablished, it will obviously ask for the user to log in again. This would also explain the variance among the different users.
If a site survey hasn't been done, you can do a 'quick & dirty' with a smartphone if the right equipment isn't available. I personally use WiFi Analyzer on my Android phone and can read both 2.4 as well as 5. Now my disclaimer statement is this method wont tell you the root of the problem, but can help provide details to 'if' there is interference. For example, once you connect to the AP, and you walk around to where the problems are and take readings, it should drop in signal strength. Now obviously this is not to replace a good site survey and that method. Now, even if interference is not the cause, you will still want to sign off of this as a possible cause.
Feel free to reply with any questions on the above ( but please dont forget to include the requested info).
05-31-2013 08:11 AM
Firmware versions of the controllers are 184.108.40.206-069R. The AP's are BR650's and are on the firmware 220.127.116.11-069R (everything was updated at the same time)
As for the site survey this was all done at the time of installation and all the access points have been positioned at 'optimal' locations you can go from one side of the building to the other with no signal loss. The building is also pretty much in the middle of nowhere so we don't have any interference from other ap's or power etc.
Currently i am connected on my iphone which has been connected since this morning however my colleague next to me is having issue who is also on an iphone.
Let me know if you need any more config details etc.
05-31-2013 08:19 AM
Just to add that the wireless was implemented by an external company so this is really the first time that we have started to have a look at the config and setup etc. We are learning as we go
06-03-2013 10:45 AM
I didn't find any defects on this topic jjeffries and the people i spoke to couldn't think of anything else, so it may not be a bad idea to contact support and run this scenario by them.