Mobility/Wireless

Occasional Contributor

Brocade Mobility AP's

We have bene trying to get the new Brocade Mobility Controller and AP's up and going in our lab but I think we are missing something.  In most other Wireless Controller vendors We can set a DNS name or a DHCP Option and the AP's will find the Controller and get their Configs.   On this product we cant seem to find something like that.  Are we missing something?

Jason

Contributor

Re: Brocade Mobility AP's

What APs are you using?

Occasional Contributor

We have 7131 AP's

Jason

Contributor

I assumed you were using this model AP. These AP's will not find the controller, like you would assume they would. You will have to go into each AP and configure the controllers IP address. I will try and find my notes and post more information...

Occasional Contributor

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!   Im a big of a Brocade Homer as anyone else but this is totally unacceptable!  If I create a Network Design based off of the 7131's I have to budget at least 30 min to and hr of time to unbox configure the AP's.  On a big install that can be a REAL deal breaker.  Is there ANY way to get the AP's to connect to a controller out of the box?  If not then we could have some problems in the future.

Jason

Contributor

Looks like they have made some changes to the 7131 since I last installed them. Take a look at the information below I found...

Adopting an Adaptive AP using DHCP options
An AAP can be adopted to a wireless controller by providing the following options in the DHCP Offer:

189 String <Controller IP Address or Range of IP addresses separated by >
190 String <Fully qualified Domain Name for the Wireless Controller>
191 String <Hashed IPSec Passkey - configure on 1 AP and export to get hashed key>
192 String <Value of "1" denotes Non-IPSec Mode and "2" denotes IPSec Mode>

NOTE
Options 189 and 192 are mandatory to trigger adoption using DHCP options. Unlike an access point,
option 189 alone won’t work. These options can be embedded in Vendor Specific Option 43 and
sent in the DHCP Offer.

I attached the Brocade document I got the above information from...

Good luck!

Occasional Contributor

Whew I can pull myself together rather being being a quivering mass of jello at the thought of needing to hit every AP.Smiley Happy

Jason

Contributor

I know what you mean! I had to touch every 7131 a year ago when I deployed them. I was not a happy guy...

Anyway, I hope the guide helps!

Contributor

Did you get this going?

Occasional Contributor

Yep set the DHCP options on the lab server and they all connected.

Jason

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.