Management Software

Occasional Contributor

Re: network advisor and SMI-S agent license

yes, then i completed the installation, configured CIMOM, which connects successfully with TPC.

From the Server management console i click on "Configure SMI-S" and then "SAN discovery". It started Java, BNA welcome loading screen and then nothing.

I tried with the version 1101 which says "SMIS integrated" and the discovery function works but can't discover my switches as 7.x

I'm downloading now version 1203... maybe it's a bug? my server is a new install so shouldn't be anything conflicting with the installation

please let me know if you experience same issue.

many thanks

External Moderator

davide,

I've installed the SMI Package only from BNA 12.1.1 Package and not from Stand-Alone.

I'll try tomorrow to discovery a 6510 with FOS 7.2.0a, this is the only one switch I can test at the moment because I move my entire LAB to another Locations, and don't have remote access at the moment.

Is probable a old SMI package have some bugs, or you have installed any BNA not suppoted by FOS

can you tell me please the exact FOS Release ?

just a stupid question, when you say:

-> my server is a new install so shouldn't be anything conflicting with the installation

is the BNA a fresh installation ? or have you incidental installed first the Enterprise Trial Release, then remove and install the SMI as single package ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've installed the SMI Package only from BNA 12.1.1 Package and not from Stand-Alone.--> yes me to

I'll try tomorrow to discovery a 6510 with FOS 7.2.0a--> this is where it fails, the discovery menu available called "Fabric Discovery" in "Configure SMI-S" button is trying to launch "dcm-client.jar" and probably times out, i don't even arrive to discover the switches.

exact FOS Release--> 7.0.1

is the BNA a fresh installation ?--> i installed SMIS agent 120.11, disocvery not working so i uninstalled it and installed BNA 12.1.1 the one giving the problem mentioned above. Then removed BNA 12.1.1 and installed BNA 11.0.1 because was available in MyBrocade download menu as "Brocade SMI Agent (Integrated) for FOS and EOS Products", i can open the discovery menu and launch the discovery successfully (it does using IPs, user/pwd and SNMP), found the switches and reported as incopatible fw as per release notes up to 6.4

hope it's clear or makes sense but what doesn't work for me is Discovery tool in BNA 12.1.1 in a matter that doesn't start at all.

Occasional Contributor

i tried the install in my laptop as well and it does work, i will look where the ssue is with the server and let you know

Occasional Contributor

fixed, i reinstalled Java and BNA 12.1.1 is now working... i think i need snmpv3 to fully discover the switches on fos 7.x anyway i will work it out or post again.

many thanks

Occasional Contributor

Does "Management console ->SMI Agent config" run ok in your laptop? mine it's really slow and takes aprox 7-10 mins to load the "Fabric discovery" panel 

Regular Visitor

This is a very late response, but the SMI Agent Only option is the correct option to choose if you don't have a Network Advisor license and want to monitor Brocade switches with Tivoli Storage Productivity Center (or IBM Spectrum Control).

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.