Management Software

New Contributor

Zoning Help Please

I am planning to configure 5100 switches with two seperate zones one  for BladeHosts+Storages  for SAN access and second one is  TapeLibrary+MediaServer+Storages for NDMP backup

Please let me know if there VSAN possible in Brocade?

I  am going to use wwpn based zoning. Could you please send me the steps?

N/A

Re: Zoning Help Please

hi

I am not sure if I can understand what you want to do.

Depending on your FOS version you may activate the virtual fabrics. (reboot of the switch is necessary)

After that you can devide the switch into  virtual switches and a base switch.

(Take care of issues such as ISLs between the RACKS, and virtual switches)

Normally the Ports in the base switch are used by all othe virtual switches.

Recommended is: one to one zoning, one initiator --> one target.

My question is if you really need virtual fabrics.

cheers

B

New Contributor

Hi,

We have two Fibre 5100 switches, 2 Clustered storages, Blade Servers with 8 Fibre ports, Tape Library with 6 Ports, Media Server with 2 Fibre ports.

We need to cretae a zoning on Brocade switches. We want to keep port 0 to 15 for SAN (2 Clustered storages, Blade Servers with 8 Fibre ports) to access LUNs  and ports 16 to 23 for a seperate zoning for (Storage with 2 Fibre Ports,Tape Library with 6 Ports, Media Server with 2 Fibre ports) for backup.

Is it possible to create two seperate zoning on each switch? I.E. one for SAN LUN Storage and second one for Tape NDMP Backup.

I would like to know if we can create VSAN1 and VSAN2 like in CISCO fibre switches.

I cann't find FOS v6.3.0d in brocade site. Could you please tell me where else I can get it?

Thank you.

Arun

Super Contributor

thagarth,

--->>> I would like to know if we can create VSAN1 and VSAN2 like in CISCO fibre switches.

Yes, you can create a Virtual Fabric, but as mentioned by khatir_bahram.....

--->>>My question is if you really need virtual fabrics.

...what is the reason you want to create VF ?

--->>> Is it possible to create two seperate zoning on each switch?

Are both Switch in the same Fabric ?

Which sense making to create 2 separate zone, on both Switches ?

New Contributor

The reason is to keep the zoning seperate for SAN-LUN and NDMP-BACKUP on the switches.

Yes. We use two switches for failover purpose with Domain 1.

Like Storages has fibre ports 0a 0b 0c 0d ports each side and Blade has 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e 1f 1g 1h. I have cabled them for both switches like storage1 (0a 0c) goes to sw1 ports (1, 3). Storage1 (0b, 0d) goes to sw2 ports (2, 4) and storage2 (0a 0c) goes to sw2 ports, (1, 3 ) and storage2 (0b, 0d) goes to sw1 ports (2, 4)

Blade's fibre ports (1a 1c  1e 1g)  goes to sw1 ports (8,9,10,11 ) and blade's fibre ports (1b 1d 1f 1h) goes to sw2 ports( 8,9,10,11 )

for both pair switches ZONE1(PROD-LUN) will be for Storage to Hosts, ZONE2 (NDMP-BACK) will be for Storage's TAPE ports+TL+MS

Hope this is clear now. Could you please send the steps involved?

Super Contributor

yes, u can create 2 zones e.g. server_HBA1_storage  and server_HBA2_Tape, if you do not have 2 HBAs on the server for one Fabric, you can use that single HBA for one Fabric, like server_HBA1_storage & server_HBA1_Tape. but it is good practice to create storage & tape zones with 2 HBAs per Fabric, so u need 4 HBAs in total for 2 redundant Fabrics and if not then 2 HBAs per Fabric for redundant fabrics. but the best practice is to zone 1 HBA with storage and 1 HBA with tape per Fabric.

FOSVersion 6.3.0 can be downloaded from brocade site.

virtual Fabrics are possible in 8 Gbps products only and in ur case it is 5100 which is 8 Gbps product and FOS also should be the latest i.e. 6.3.0 but rebooting is required for creation of virtual Fabric.

New Contributor

have 2 ports on storage1 and 2 ports on storage2  for TAPE backup zoning. Tape Library has 3 fibre pairs and Media Server has 2 ports.

Please clarify if I understood tour answer properly.

We can give the same ZONE names in sw1 and sw2? like ZONE-SAN and ZONE-BACK on sw1 and same names in sw2.

I have seen up to v6.3.0c available to download from brocade site.

Since it is a new Install, I can reboot the switches multiple times. Could you please send me the steps for creating virtual SANs?

Again a small doubt about zoning and VSAN. Are they both different concepts? As for as i know, yes they are.

In the zoning we cable the ports and pickup ports or wwpns and configure them as zone.

VSANs are permanently reserving the ports for different functionality.

In my case we keep VSAN1 for SAN-LUN and VSAN2 for SAN-BACKUP. Am I right?

Super Contributor

_-->>>I cann't find FOS v6.3.0d in brocade site. Could you please tell me where else I can get it?

FOS 6.3.0d is not for GA

FOS 6.3.1b / 6.4.0 is latest release and GA

--->>>Yes. We use two switches for failover purpose with Domain 1.

They want to use TWO Switch for failover... with same DID.... and TWO different ZONE.

A good question is, where is here the failover ?

--->>>The reason is to keep the zoning seperate....

If you want to run in VF mode, you are automatically in two different "virtual switch" so in my opinion not make a sense to create

additional two different Zone

--->>>We can give the same ZONE names ....

According your design both switch are not a Fabric Member, so is the name for reference only and don't have any impact for failover.

Occasional Contributor

Attached are 2 files:

1.  the commands that you use to create zones on Brocade.  Unfortunately I don't know how to create Virtual Fabrics with commands.  If you find out, please let me know.

2.  A guide to using the Brocade web browser GUI to creating zones on Brocade.

Stuart Abramson

Contributor

Does the member I'm adding to the zone, or creating an alias for, have to be connected to the switch?

aliadd "alias name","xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"

returns

"alias name" not found

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.