Management Software

Occasional Contributor

When launching BNA I get a "Server not available" message at the login screen.

I can ping the server, I can SSH into the server, but BNA won't launch.  I am using the recommended Java version and have the server set as a security exception in the Java Control Panel applet.  The firewall on both the workstation and the BNA server are disabled.  I am running Windows 7 64 with the 64 bit Java on the workstation and can access BNA from other Windows 7 machines.  Has anyone experienced this, has anyone been able to track down what is causing it.  Other members of staff are having the same problem, randomly.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

Brocade Moderator

Re: When launching BNA I get a "Server not available" message at the login screen.

Hi,

are you able to launch BNA on the server itself and access the BNA server?  Or it is just one work station which fails to connect to the BNA server all the time (and other staff member have random problems)?

Is your BNA server multihomed - with more than one active network connection? 

Do your BNA server have mutliple DNS names?

What if you use the IP address of the BNA server?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Re: When launching BNA I get a "Server not available" message at the login screen.

The BNA server is single-homed and I use the IP address to access it.  I am able to launch BNA from the server console and from some workstations, but the workstations of the two network admins are the ones that have the issue.  I tried a different version of Java as a shot in the dark with no success.  

Brocade Moderator

What about firewalls / restrictions on the network between the two workstations and bna server?

Further, in one case NetBIOS over TCP was blocked between client and BNA server, and on the client.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

The workstations and the server have their firewalls disabled.  Netbios over TCP is enabled on the workstation.

Brocade Moderator

All firewalls on the server and clients are disabled. What about the network between the two workstations and the BNA server - would there be firewalls or limits on protocol passed throught? 

Next, are you using the windows webclient bundle to connect (or via webstart)? Please try the webclient bundle when downloaded to windows station.

Can you share the output from netstat -ano or when the windows with the failing to connect to the server is up plus the ipconfig output?  Or even better the clientsupportsave.bat (in <home directory> / Network Advisor/ server ip-name directory), please?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.