Management Software

Occasional Contributor

Trunking a DCX as edge switch to my M48 director.

Hi

We have 4 DCX's that each is devide in 2 VSAN and 2 fabrics. Each DCX is broken up into 2 logical switches, one for mainframe and one for open systems.

We tried to connect a logical switch from our dcx for the open systems to our M48 director. We could see that the trunks was formed. When I went to DCFM and go to zoning I could see that all my zones was pulled into the VSAN. I just want clarity should I see all the WWN and port from the other switches when I activate zoning on my open system VSAN? If I right click on the logical open system switches and select zoning, should all my switches be displayed ? or only the logical switches and not the physical that is part of the fabric?

Please see the attached pic of our design.VSAN design.jpg

Kind regards

Super Contributor

Re: Trunking a DCX as edge switch to my M48 director.

I am not sure if I had understand you correctly. If you have connected your M48 to a logical switch on the DCX and the M48 joins the fabrics you should be able to see two logical switches (one on each DCX) and one M48 in each fabric within your zoning scope. The logical switches should only contain the ports which where added to the logical switch not all ports of the DCX.

VSAN is not a common wording in the Brocade world it comes from Cisco. Brocade talks about Virtaul Fabric or LSAN if IR is enabled.

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Andreas

That is what I suspected and we didn't see it. So I know that webtools doesn't support LSAN, but if I open zone admin (from webtools) should I then see the whole DCX or just the logical switch?

Jacques

Super Contributor

Jacques,

can you please post what you see instead of posting what you think to see?

This can help to answer your questions. It can help if you post your DCFM version.

Some old version do not support some functions or have some bugs.

As well I would recommend to do the zoning via CLI instead of using Webtools or DCFM/BNA.

Regards,

Andreas

External Moderator

The principal question is, have you created WWN or Port Zoning ?

WWN zoning is typically used for open systems connections. Port zones are used for FICON.
Nodes that are not already defined to a zone are automatically put into the default zone.
Conversely, default zone members are automatically removed whenever that member is
added to an active zone.

whit other word

WWN zoning is used in open systems environments and is not used for FICON.

And finally apart of that, you Post in the wrong Forum. Please Post such Q. in the future in

http://community.brocade.com/community/forums/products_and_solutions/mainframe_solutions

Thank you.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.