Management Software

Occasional Contributor

SNMP Trap Configuratgion

Does anyone no why we continue to receive the following message:

"SNMP configuration attribute, Trap recipient, has changed from 0 to 4 and Vice versa"

We know that they are informational but they're annoying.  thanks,

Super Contributor

Re: SNMP Trap Configuratgion

Do you have any SAN management tools monitoring and administering these switches??

Please provide

snmpConfig --show

Occasional Contributor

Hi, I have same problem,

I am experiencing SNMP attribute changes on the switches frequently occuring as mentioned log below which resulting to send all old logs to my email especially warnings and errors which making me to check the switches everytime. The questions I have are,

1. why this change is repeatedly happening ?
2.How can I overcome this issue ? (by not deleting the old switch logs)

3. Can I disable the V1 SNMP , if so what will affected? does the switch able to discover in DCFM ? and Does the switch error logs will be poulated on DCFM ?

4. what happens if the seed switch discovery says "Discovered: SNMP communication failedSmiley FrustratedNMP credentials may be invalidSmiley Frustratedeed Switch"  ? do u think it's a firewall issue  ? I see the credentials are fine.

5. Do I need to seed the higher FOS switch in the discovery part to overcome this issue?

Note: old logs from the switch stay with original date & time, but once the SNMP attribute change happens on discoverd switches, DCFM sends out the alerts with current date & time , that's where the confusion with the alerts are real or old ones., and we are using DCFM10.4.3. Any solution to this ,greatly appreciated.

2010/11/10-19:26:13, , 86,, INFO, fcsw02x-crp-05, SNMP configuration attribute, Trap Severity Level 1 , has changed from 4 to 0

2010/11/10-19:26:15, , 87,, INFO, fcsw02x-crp-05, SNMP configuration attribute, Trap recipient 1 , has changed from to

2010/11/10-19:26:15, , 88,, INFO, fcsw02x-crp-05, SNMP configuration attribute, Trap Severity Level 1 , has changed from 0 to 4

2011/01/12-02:28:33, , 89,, INFO, fcsw02x-crp-05, SNMP configuration attribute, Trap recipient 1 , has changed from to

2011/01/12-02:28:33, , 90,, INFO, fcsw02x-crp-05, SNMP configuration attribute, Trap Severity Level 1 , has changed from 4 to 0

fcsw02x-crp-05:admin> snmpconfig --show snmpv1

SNMPv1 community and trap recipient configuration:
  Community 1: abcde (rw)
    Trap recipient: 10.10.10.10    --------> (dummy IP , this is my DCFM server IP)

Trap port: 162
    Trap recipient Severity level: 4
  Community 2: OrigEquipMfr (rw)
    No trap recipient configured yet
  Community 3: private (rw)
  Community 4: public (ro)
  Community 5: common (ro)
  Community 6: FibreChannel (ro)

fcsw02x-crp-05:admin> snmpconfig --show snmpv3

SNMPv3 USM configuration:
User 1 (rw): snmpadmin1
        Auth Protocol: noAuth
        Priv Protocol: noPriv
User 2 (rw): snmpadmin2
User 3 (rw): snmpadmin3
User 4 (ro): snmpuser1
User 5 (ro): snmpuser2
User 6 (ro): snmpuser3

SNMPv3 Trap configuration:
Trap Entry 1:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 2:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 3:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 4:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 5:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 6:     No trap recipient configured yet

Occasional Contributor

Did you ever get an answer to this question ?

If so, I am seeing the same thing right now, using Network Advisor v12

thanks!

New Contributor

I had this problem and it related a Firewall Rule between the Server and Switch. Apparently, there are two different Firewall rules that can be used for snmp get (UDP 161) - 'snmp' or 'snmp_read'. For some reason 'snmp_read' seems to be more restrictive and has 'application intelligence' and this was blocking the traffic. Please note that this might only relate to Checkpoint Firewalls.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.