Management Software

Occasional Contributor

SMI Agent (120.10.0) on Linux for TPC Failed Login to 2 2109-M48 Dir

Although not green when it comes to SAN, I seem to be having an issue with getting the SMI agent to connect to the switches. I have the agent running on a Linux machine and it is registering in TPC with a successfull connection to the CIMOM, but whenever I launch the Configurationtool it fails to connect to the server. The error in the GUI is "Insufficient RPC Calls" however I've tried configuring it for the max of 20 and get the same error message. I noticed someone else was having login issues as well and it was related to multiple NICs (which I do have) so I tried binding to the active interface still with no luck. Here's what I see on the command line when executing calls in the GUI:

# Configurationtool.sh
GlassPane mounted on class com.brocade.admintool.gui.SMIAgentConfigFrame
HTTPPort:5988
HTTPSPort:5989
Return Code is 32791
Return Code is 32791

I've verified that the user name and password are in fact correct for telnet and I've tried different versions just to see, all with the same output. There was a working config quite a while back so I restored that version from a backup (after uninstalling everything) but with that install TPC can't connect. The config is pretty generic for the SMI Agent (all defaults).

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be preventing it from logging in to the switches? Each switch is in a different Fabric and have their own domain IDs etc but same user name and password to access them. I've tried reintalling older version from scratch, upgrading, new installs, something just isn't licking for me.

Any suggestions/help are greatly appreciated!!

External Moderator

Re: SMI Agent (120.10.0) on Linux for TPC Failed Login to 2 2109-M48 Dir

Hi,

I found this Note descripted as some limitations in the SMI-Agent., will see if i can find more Info and post here.

If the SMI-A host machine goes down, the RPC client sessions on the switch side are
not closed immediately, but time out after about two hours. If this happens and the
maximum limit of RPC handles is reached, then the SMI Agent cannot login to the
switch until the switch is rebooted or until the RPC handles are released.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply! ... If there is more info that would be greatly appreciated. This has been ongoing for a couple of days now and I've had 10's of hours lapse between trying from day to day so if this is the case, would the RPC calls not release? As an example I've tried this many times yesterday but stopped at about 1pm ... I didn't try to log in again or install the SMI agent until this morning at 5:00am

External Moderator

--->>>If there is more info that would be greatly appreciated.

as mentioned, I'll see to find a bit more.... this one appear as helpful....

have you tried to configured the RPC call lower than 20 ?

I think.... I'm not sure....  if the Value is set to High, is the Time Logout longer.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

--->>> Return Code is 32791

I cannot find any Error Code 32791, in the Table is thsi code not listed.

Quck question, are both Director's in a FICON Environment ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Currently I have the RPC call set to 5. When I installed the SMI agent it had a default of 1 should I try going back down to 1? I'm willing to try anything maybe I'll try dropping it to 1 just to see.

Occasional Contributor

Both directors are fiber only (4 blades per chasis) 2 x 4Gb and 2 x 8Gb blades per switch.

External Moderator

--->>> I'm willing to try anything maybe I'll try dropping it to 1 just to see.

leave by 5 at the moment, let me see if I can find more.....

i coming back.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

--->>> I'm willing to try anything maybe I'll try dropping it to 1 just to see.

can we test follow ? can you please change the port ?

HTTPPort:5988 -> 6000
HTTPSPort:5989 -> 6001

If yes, Stop the Agent, change both HTTP and HTTPS Port, Set the Value as default to "1" and then Re-Start now.

wait a couple of Minute......

what happens ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Here's what I see from command line:

# /opt/SMIAgent/agent/server/jserver/bin/Configurationtool.sh
GlassPane mounted on class com.brocade.admintool.gui.SMIAgentConfigFrame
HTTPPort:6000
HTTPSPort:6001

<wait a few minutes to reload connection>

Return Code is 32791
Return Code is 32791

Just for testing sake I tried on another Linux machine (just to make sure I could rule out the host as a problem) and I got the exact same results. I feel like I'm missing something simple but i can't for the life of me figure it out. The SMI Agent seems to be a pretty simple install (I just accepted the defaults initially) so I can't imagine what else might be going wrong.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.