Management Software

Mixing disk and LTO4 on the same HBA

by justinomc on ‎10-30-2008 06:00 AM (1,853 Views)

Hi,

Does anyone know any problem that may result in a configuration where you create 2 zones for the same HBA, 1 for Disk and 1 for LTO4 ?

Is this kind of configuration supported ?

thks,

justinomc

Comments
by
on ‎11-02-2008 04:06 PM

Hi justinomc

Is it a dual port single hba ? If it is you could do the following

Zone port 0

server/lun

Zone port 1

Tape

Server

David

by justinomc
on ‎11-04-2008 02:18 AM

Hi David,

That's not what I want to do.

Consider the following:

a) 1 Host with "2" FC ports (1 dual FC card or 2 mono port FC card, it doesn't matter anyway).

For redundancy reasons you would configure these 2 FC port to access disk. So you zone each port to disk array ports, each on on a different SAN fabric.

Now, if I wanted to backup to tape (LAN Free) and couldn't add more hba cards to that machine, could I use those 2 ports to access tape as well ?

Using the FC ports for both disk and tape could also increase the machine overall performance since I would be using the full duplex capability of the FC protocol. So if I had a machine with 4 FC ports I could have 44Gbit/s for disk and 44Gbit/s for tape instead of 24 + 24.

Is this a supported scenario ?

thks,

justinomc

by AndyAtEon
on ‎11-04-2008 04:42 AM

Hi Justinomc,

with AIX 5.2 & AIX 5.3 we have no problems with sharing tape and disk targets on the same FC port.

We have plenty of LAN free agents configured without any problems.

Regards, Andy

by amitpahwa
on ‎11-04-2008 08:43 AM

I have seen Disk Errors & ADAPTER ERRORS on AIX due to a single HBA sharing disks & tape drives. The configuration is not supported by IBM.

by amitpahwa
on ‎11-04-2008 08:45 AM

The configuration is not recommended & supported by IBM. The DISK ERRORS & ADAPTER ERRORS are encountered on AIX due to this configuration, especially during the backup window of server.