Management Software

Frequent Contributor

Migrating BNA from 12.0.x to 12.1

Hello Community,

Except from downloading 12.1 installation package and clicking next, is there something special to know ?

I launched the executable file but it seems like to me it's starting a new installation from scratch.

I read the Installation/migration guide, I haven't found a valid migration path from 12.0.x to 12.1.

I did this multiple times before, but it feels different this time.

Thank you for your feedback.

Super Contributor

Re: Migrating BNA from 12.0.x to 12.1

Hi Youssef.  With the exception of the patch releases, major releases are full install files.  For example,

BNA 12.0  is 854.25 mb

BNA 12.0a is   2.21 mb

BNA 12.1  is 911.69 mb

Beyond that, I dont have details of what occurs behind the curtain (but can look into it if necessary).  Keep in mind, this is the first 12.x major release so I would expect much of the core files to be updated which may lead to the appearance of a full install.  I did go through the release notes.  Doesn't say much on this topic, but here is the section on migrating:

Migrations & Upgrades

Network Advisor Upgrades: Network Advisor 11.3.0 and 12.0.X (12.0.0 – 12.0.3) running on the Linux and Windows operating systems can be upgraded to Network Advisor 12.1.0. SAN users may add IP management to Network Advisor 12.1.0 for SAN+IP network management with the procurement of the IP functionality. Also, IP users may add SAN management to Network Advisor 12.1.0 for SAN+IP network management with the procurement of the SAN functionality.

Note: Migrations from pre-12.0.X to 12.1.0, require the pre-12.0.0 Network Advisor installation be running. Partial and Network path Migrations are not supported from Pre 12.0.X to 12.1.0. Please refer to section “Configuring backup” of “Chapter 5- Application Configuration” in Network Advisor User Manual to get configuration backup procedure and refer to section “Chapter 3 - Data Migration” in “Installation and Migration guide” for more details about migration.

Annie Shaikh is our primary BNA/Manageability contact here on the community pages.  She out out of office until Thursday.  When she gets in, I'll ask her about this. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Frequent Contributor

Re: Migrating BNA from 12.0.x to 12.1

Hello Mike,

Tried it on a test server, everything went smoothly.

It is a complete new install, then migration assistant runs and migrates the data for you.

Thanks for your feedback.

BR.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.