Management Software

Occasional Contributor

IBM / Brocade network advisor High Availbility

Hello ,

I want to install IBM network adviser with High Availability so that in case my primary Site ( This is where the IBM network adviser  server is installed) goes down I have a secondary IBM network adviser server at DR site that i can use.I want to know if this is possible .

1: can i installed IBM network adviser professional plus server at primary and DR site and use both of them to manage devices .

2 : if yes , are their any license required for this type of setup .

3 : any other option available to achieve high availability,I know about Microsoft Cluster option but that still will be installing IBM network adviser at one site on two node .

I want to limit the Use of IBM network adviser at DR site and will use that only in case of DR .

External Moderator

Re: IBM / Brocade network advisor High Availbility

->I want to install IBM network adviser with High Availability...

what you meaning with "High Availability" ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

what you meaning with "High Availability" ?

Incase the IBM network adviser server at primary Site goes down i want to have backup server at DR site to monitor or manage my SAN devices till primary site is up again

External Moderator

is at 99,999% not supported.

and assuming in a case such a installation is supported, sure not with professional plus edition.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Like techhelp24 I don't think you can solve this with BNA.

However you could take a different approach in getting HA.

Depending on your environment, requirements etc. you could look at (note haven't checked for support on each option)

-Running BNA as in a clustered environment

-booting BNA physical box from SAN and have it's LUNs replicated to the DR site.

-running your BNA box as a VM in HA or VM replication or VM FT or VM App HA (for sure other hypervisors offer something similar as well.)

External Moderator

Hi Dion,

this is maybe a option, however you should keep in mind, the BNA Database work only as single instance, and cannot - I'm here 100% sure - be shared in a Cluster or HA mode.

I'll not insist, and must admit I'm sure not the Top Expert with BNA but such a Installation / config is not work.

is my opinion.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Hi there,

not long ago released a doc talking about BNA with HA using Microsoft cluster:

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-3347

Although the option to obtain HA with a cluster service is interesting, I personally find it a little bit excesive for a management tool.

The easiest way to get an acceptable RTO in case of an issue with BNA, in my opinion, is to perform scheduled backups from the BNA to a shared folder in a server in the DR site. If that server has BNA also installed, you can restore BNA using the last scheduled backup.

Kind rgds,

Felipon

External Moderator

In details, and I'll not insist,

I know that DOC, however the main question is related to:

--->>>I want to install IBM network adviser with High Availability so that in case my primary Site ..../.....goes down I have a secondary IBM network adviser server at DR site that i can use.

continue:

--->>> 1: can i installed IBM network adviser professional plus server at primary and DR site and use both of them to manage devices .

and finally,  refer to

--->>>3 : any other option available to achieve high availability,I know about Microsoft Cluster option but that still will be installing IBM network adviser at one site on two node .

he ask as per my understand if is possible to install at primary and DR Site, in other word a Installation like in a MAN or WAN design as Multi-Site Failover Cluster.

can you confirm ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

he ask as per my understand if is possible to install at primary and DR Site, in other word a Installation like in a MAN or WAN design as Multi-Site Failover Cluster.

gowhar majeed can you confirm ?

Yes ,That what i am looking for a "Multi-Site Failover Cluster"

External Moderator

Wow. This is a Big things....

I'm working and have a large experience with MS Cluster since NT 4.0, and I know more Multi-Site Failover Cluster.

I'm experienced with such installation, and have practiced such Installation in the past on more Unisys Multiprocessor Server Type ES7000 as Quad Node Cluster with Microsoft W2K3 Datacenter.

that was hard work....

Today is all most simple, but to be honestly, supported or not.... make sense such a Installation to manage a couple of Switches ? 

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.