Management Software

New Contributor

Help with SMI-S agent config for 48000 director

Hi,

I am new in the storage area so it would be great if someone guide me with this.

I have got this brocade 48k director which I want to connect using SMI-S agent. I downloaded the agent (Brocade SMI agent 120.8.0) for windows and installed. During installtion it asked me the proxy details and I provided the IP address of switch and its user/password. Though for the rest of the protocol settings I selected 'Any' as I was not sure.

I have been trying to connect to the switch using Brocade SMI Agent Configuration tool 120.8.0 but everytime I get errors 'Error Authenticating session' or 'Operation not supported' and then the status shows as 'Login Failed'

I am not able to figure out what's wrong here. I checked the user name password by doing telnet it went fine.

Do I need to enable something on the switch as well so that agent is able to talk to it? Not sure though...

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Frequent Contributor

Re: Help with SMI-S agent config for 48000 director

HI adam.ipad

I just setup the SMI-S agent last week , one thing I noticed is that you'll need to enter a root or admin account ( i used the root account) to auth to the switch.

Once you do that you should be good.

David

New Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks for replying back. I have requested admin to provide me the root/admin rights.

Meanwhile, could you please tell me what agent version you used for connecting to your switch?

I am using Brocade SMI Agent 120.8.0 downloded from brocade's site.

One more thing, while downloading I saw specific agents for different vendor applications (Citrix, HP, Hitachi etc). Does it matter what application I am going to use for talking to agent?

Regards.

New Contributor

Hey David,

Hope you are doing great.

I tried login with both admin and root, but problem still persists. Everytime I faced the same issue

Now, I am feeling like I am missing something basic here. I am putting down what I my setup is and what I am doing with it. You can tell me then if I have follwed the correct approach or not:

I have a setup like this:

Management application server: M

Agent server: A

And switch: S

M-->A-->S

I tried telnet from A to S and it worked fine.

I downloaded SMI-S agent (120.8.0) from brocade site and installed it on A. While installing it asked for proxy details, so I gave:

Proxy IP: Switch (S) IP

user name: root (tried the admin user as well)

Password: the same password i used for telnet

Login Scheme: Non-secureSAN (I was not sure so kept it what it was)

Protocol: RPC (default, as was not sure)

No. of RPC handles: 1

Multiple connection: Yes

Then using the Agent configuration Tool, I go to proxies and press apply. It shows me the status as Login progress.. and then after sometime I get the error as operation not supported and the status changes to Login Failed. The return code on console I get is 1.

Not sure what am I missing here.

One more question:

Does the agen on A needs to be specific for the management application installed on A? M is trying to get the information of switched from agent installed on A.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks.

New Contributor

Hi All,

My issue is resolved now!

Well, it was basically due to the presence of multiple NICs on the agent server. Agent doesn't know what interface/gateway to be followed, neither it asks for the details while installing.

I couldn't notice it as the telnet and ping were working fine from command line.

I provided the route information, disabled other NICs and reinstalled the agent...it worked!

Thanks David for your help.

Regards.

Frequent Contributor

Hi  Adam

Good to hear your up and running

New Contributor

I am having the same issue but i have only one NIC and the route information is in the NIC configuration.

i did notice when i did an ipconfig/all that the windows IP configuration says the ip routing is disabled.

could this be the issue?

Occasional Contributor

Same issue as well, Calvin.  In my case, the admin account and password is correct and I can see the SMI agent trying to log into the switch but it says the password is incorrect (yet using the same credentials I can log into the switch either SSH or directly).  I wonder if I have to run SecureRPC instead?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.