Management Software

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Does BNA force SNMP setting on switches it monitor

I would like to know whether BNA  forces SNMP Setting changes on individual switches it monitor while restarting the its service.

For example before restarting a SAN Network Advisor it has SNMP setting warning (level3) but over period setting changes to information informational not sure whether it is happening after restarting the BNA. But SNMP setting pointing to that IP (BNA) is changing periodically rest no issue.

Please explain why or what is the fix.

New Contributor

Re: Does BNA force SNMP setting on switches it monitor

Are you referring to the SNMP trap setting changing?

BNA will attempt to register as an SNMP trap recipient automatically. You can change this behaviour at Server -> Options, then look for "Trap Registration" in the Category pane.

Occasional Contributor

Nope that is not my question. The SNMP setting in individual switches pointing to BNA changes when we restart BNA services or reboot server. We force SNMP trap to warning but after BNA restart it changes to informational on all switches SNMP settings pointing to BNA IP.

Brocadian

Can you tell me which specific commands you are setting, and what BNA is changing them to?

I'm pretty sure it is the trap registration process, but I want to check.

Occasional Contributor

I am talking about SNMP settings. I have attached screenshot for your understanding. Trap doesn't have parameter other than port 162

Brocadian

Right, so it is the Trap Registration process. Looks like the default is to register for Informational traps.

If you want to change that behaviour, disable Trap Registration at Server -> Options -> Trap Registration.

You can configure more customised behaviour using Monitor -> SNMP Setup -> Product Trap Recipients

When you configure trap recipients there, you can also specify the severity.

Occasional Contributor

Ok. But why it is changing switch setting from warning to informational ?.Why BNA forcing SNMP change in individual switch. Can you please explain that.

Brocadian

When you restart BNA it will re-register for traps. Part of that re-registration command contains the severity level. It will over-write whatever is there. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.