Management Software

New Contributor

DCFM 10.4.2 High Memory Usage

I have been having problems with high cpu and memory usage with DCFM 10.4.2 causing performance issues on our SMS server.  I would like to move DFCM to a dedicated computer.   I would like to use at least 4GB of memory but would there be advantages to using more memory?  Will DCFM be able to use memory greater than 4GB and benefit?

Valued Contributor

Re: DCFM 10.4.2 High Memory Usage

Depending on your environment the requirements are 3 to 4 GB of memory. >> http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/DCFM-DS-02.pdf

If DCFM is able to adress more the 4GB depends on OS used (64bits) and how DCFM is programmed.

I personally don't think its able and needed to have more than 4GB, but thats based on a feeling.

How much memory does DCFM currently consume?

New Contributor

It was running on a 4 cpu server with 3.3GB RAM.  We were seeing very high CPU and memory usage including a lot of paging activity.  This same server was also running many other SAN management applications and DCFM was managing four x 48000 Directors.  Performance was getting bad enough that DCFM started creating very large dump files that quickly filled up the C: drive. While the server was well within Brocade DCFM specifications, I am guessing that DCFMd was competing for resources with the other installed applications.

Valued Contributor

Ok minimum spec are 3GB for DCFM alone. Your server has 3,3 (probably 4 but running on a 32 bits OS).

That leaves 0,3 GB for OS and other tools if DCFM really needs all 3GB. That's not going to work.

But you've already figured that out.

Consider reducing workload of that server or to add more memory. High CPU can be caused by paging if CPU resources go to system calls.

How is the systems behaviour if you disable DCFM or the other way around if you disable all other tooling?

New Contributor

This server is running Windows 2003 Standard x86, so I don't think that adding more memory is an option....  We are considering using a good desktop system with 4GB and run DCFM as the only application installed.

Super Contributor

In the release note you will find only 32bit OS support. (it was taken from the 10.4.1 release notes)

Depending on the amount of SAN ports you have consider to use ESX with two different guests run each a single instance of DCFM.

If you have more than 3000-4000 ports in DCFM it gets slower over the time.

I hope this helps.

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.