Management Software

Occasional Contributor

Configuration of the brocade SMI agent

Hi guys

I need assistance with setting up the brocade SMI agent on a windows server.

I have downloaded and installed the tool but I receive an "CIM_access_denied" error when I click on items in the console.

Please note that I am not a Storage administrator but rather a monitoring administrator so my understanding of SAN is extremely limited.

I need to get this SMI agent working so I can plug my foglight monitoring tool into it.

Any assistance is appreciated

Regards

Brad

External Moderator

Re: Configuration of the brocade SMI agent

@African bank EAM

I've installed +/- 3 years ago Foglight by a Customer during a PoC, which was abandoned, but that another story.

can you tell me the exact release of Foglight.

about Brocade SMI, have you installed the correct SMI from BNA = Brocade Network Advisor ?

see this DOC for more Info.

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Management-Software/Brocade-Network-Advisor-SMI-Agent-How-To/ta-p/87239

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi

I am using foglight agent manager version 4.3.1.

and foglight management server version 5.7.5.4

Just to give you some background, foglight monitors the storage environment using the SMI agents from the relevant storage vendors.

for the storage array, I've used the EMC SMI agent which I've managed to get working. so my storage arrays are being monitored. fortunately it was a straight forward install, create a username on the SMI console and connect foglight to it.

I now need to setup the same thing for the switches using the Brocade SMI agent but after installing the agent, I open the console and wherever I click, I receive an access denied error. I need to figure out how to create/assign access to the Brocade SMI agent and also how to add the relevant fabrics/switches for monitoring

Regards

Brad

External Moderator

@Bradley

->I've used the EMC SMI agent which I've managed to get working.

I'm very sorry, but I don't know how the EMC SMI Agent working, and I do't know if the SMI agent is compatible with Foglight.

-->>I now need to setup the same thing for the switches using the Brocade SMI agent but after installing the agent, I open the console and wherever I click, I receive an access denied error. 

have you follow/review the URL DOC I posted in preview answer ?

have you installed the Brocade SMI Agent from BNA Image ? I need exact release

Please Note, Old - Standalone Brocade SMI Agent - are not Compatible/ Supported with Foglight.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi Anthonio

I've installed the SMI agent only from the 12.4.4 installation.

when I open the app its asks for a license which I dont have or want to purchase.

is this SMI agent from BNA a licensed product ? 

Thanks for your assistance

Brad

Occasional Contributor

I've also installed the standalone SMI agent (120.9.0) successfully and configured the relevant switches in the proxy configs.

but when I connect foglight to the SMI agent, it throws some errors when attempting to collect data, looks like authentication errors.

IU selected to disable authentication during the SMI agent installation. is there any way i can create a username/password on SMI for foglight to connect successfully

Occasional Contributor

I installed the standalone SMI agent using the instrauctions from this foglight video https://support.software.dell.com/kb/96978

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

@African bank EAM

-->>I've also installed the standalone SMI agent (120.9.0) ....

is not supported for Foglight, or better to say, 120.9.0 is not longer supported for New Brocade FOS / Platforms.

Additional, DELL wrote:

->2) Install the Brocade SMI agent on a DIFFERENT server from vFoglight FglAM. 

I've installed by the customore both on same server, however as saied in my other post, with Brocade SMI Agent from BNA and not the release mentioned by DELL )

This SMI release is since many years EOL and End of Support.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

@African bank EAM

->I've installed the SMI agent only from the 12.4.4 installation.

is ok, and work fine with Foglight.

->is this SMI agent from BNA a licensed product ? 

No. Brocade SMi is Free forever no license is required, you have simple to uninstall and install again.

Simple follow this instructions

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Management-Software/Brocade-Network-Advisor-SMI-Agent-How-To/ta-p/87239

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

thanks buddy.

I followed your instructions and installed only trhe SMI agent from the 12.4.4 installation and managed to get to the screen whereby the SMI config is available. thanks for that.

now the question is, how do I configure the switches/fabrics to be monitored. do I do a fabric discovery ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.