Management Software

Contributor

Cisco traps

Has anyone actually managed to be successful with adding Cisco switches to BNA so that traps work?

I have added 3rd party support for Cisco in BNA, configured snmpv3 credentials (which work, because I am able to discover them), configured the Cisco switch with trap info and server info but I cannot, for the life of me, get Cisco switches to report to BNA with traps.

I have also added the Cisco MIBs correctly as they show up mostly as registered.

I understand that I can't manage configs or push out updates, but all I am looking to do is have things like port up/down, logins, and simple stuff show up like the Brocade switches do in the Master log.

Thanks in advance.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Cisco traps

Hi @Netman66,

While we still encourage the community to assist with your post, I wanted to let you I have passed your questions on to our TAC Engagement team and they will be reaching out to you shortly to gather some more information regarding your configuration so we can get you in touch with the correct group . I encourage you to continue to post in the community and let me know if there is any way I can help. Once your post is resolved, we will make sure to post the resolution back to the community to help other members.

You can find out more about the TAC Engaged program by clicking on the image below.

TAC Engaged.png

Dennis Smith
Manager Brocade Communities
@DennisMSmith
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Dennis,

Well, I managed to figure the Syslog issue out, but I still don't have any SNMP traffic being sent to BNA.

For Syslog, I ran the debug on the Cisco switch and noticed it was trying to send syslog traffic, but to port 514.  A few years ago, I had to change the port that BNA listens on due to another monitoring application on the same server that I could not change.  I changed the port to 515.

So, that being said, I added the following lines to my Cisco configs:

logging host {IP address} transport udp port 515

logging trap notifications

login on-failure log

login on-success log

At least with that much configured, I'm seeing basic login and CLI changes being sent via Syslog, but I think the SNMP trap information may be more detailed.  Not 100% sure about the difference or whether there would be more information gleened from SNMP versus Syslog - but it's a start.

Thanks for reaching out.

Paul

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the update Paul. I would think the SNMP traps would provide a little more information, not 100% sure either. Hopefully our TAC team can tell you for sure. I'll make sure they see the update. Let me know if there's anything I can do. 

Dennis Smith
Manager Brocade Communities
@DennisMSmith
Brocadian

Netman66 wrote:

Well, I managed to figure the Syslog issue out, but I still don't have any SNMP traffic being sent to BNA.

Is the switch actually sending SNMP traps? Check with Wireshark/tcpdump on the BNA server.

Netman66 wrote:

At least with that much configured, I'm seeing basic login and CLI changes being sent via Syslog, but I think the SNMP trap information may be more detailed.  Not 100% sure about the difference or whether there would be more information gleened from SNMP versus Syslog - but it's a start.

What makes you assume that SNMP trap information would be more detailed? Are there specific events that you want to receive? For Cisco devices, there are more possible syslog messages than traps. See here for more info: http://www.netcraftsmen.com/handling-network-events-syslog-and-snmp-traps/
(and note the author of that link).

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.