Management Software

New Contributor

Cannot modify SNMP v1 settings on Silkworm 3850

I have a Silkworm 3850 FC switch that will not allow me to change the community strings in the SNMP V1 section. It is running Fabric OS Version v5.3.0d. I am using the GUI interface, not the CLI.

The error states: : Cannot set SNMP configuration.

FYI, I have an identical switch in this SAN that allows the SNMP settings to be changed with no issue.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: Cannot modify SNMP v1 settings on Silkworm 3850

Any messages in errshow -r might help debug this.

New Contributor

There are no entries in the logs related to this problem. Using errshow -r only echoes back what is seen through the GUI Logs.

New Contributor

I  also was able to find the commands for setting SNMP options from the CLI. It gives me the same generic error. 

Super Contributor

I do not have any significant suggestions to offer but you may wanna try reset all SNMP settings to factory default and start afresh.

agtcfgDefault

is the command.

Incase the switch has special SNMP settings make sure you back it up.
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've just hit the exact same issue, I'm wondering if you ever found the fix for this?

Valued Contributor

Have tried to do it via CLI with command snmpconfig --set snmpv1?

Occasional Contributor

Hi

Yes tried via the CLI with that comand and it goes all the way through prompting for the details, at the end where it normally completes there is a long pause then the error message.

This has now failed on all 4 of our 3900 switches, but we have configured the same on several 4100, 4900 switches, so we are confident the commands/process are OK.  Seems to be something specific on the 3900's.   All our code levels are the same 5.3.0a ( I know very back level)  I notice on a previous reply using the agtCfgDefault was mentioned, but there was no response as to if this worked etc.  Not used this command previously but looking at the details it ONLY sets the SNMP config to defaults, so I assume is safe to run on these switches where no config has been set.... without any other impact on the switches/environment?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Valued Contributor

Hi,

You can use agtcfgDefault without worries, it is not disruptive to FC traffic. In old FOS releases, agtcfgdefault/agtcfgset/agtcfgshow were the commands used to configure SNMP, nowadays snmpconfig is used instead.

Also a good option would be to upgrade your switchs to the latest supported FOS release, v5.3.2c I thinks is the last one.

Rgds,

Felipon

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.